Copa del Rey

Second round

Match played on 5th November

The second round of the cup kicked off on Tuesday, with games played over one leg at the ground of the lower ranked side. Defending champions Deportivo made hard work of beating neighbours Racing Ferrol, but ended up winning 3-4 thanks to an injury time goal from Luque. For a while though the second division side were in front after Cuéllar scored twice to cancel out an early Diego Tristán goal. Tristán levelled again and Luque put Depor ahead after Ferrol's Rambier was sent off. But Yasunaga equalised and it looked as if the game was going into extra time before Luque's winner.

Mallorca keeper Leo Franco saved the day at Hércules, stopping two penalties in the shoot out to take his team through after the game finished without goals. The second division B side had the best chances to wrap up the game in the 90 minutes of ordinary play, and their substitute Santos wasted a sitter in extra time. Both sides missed two penalties in the first round of spot kicks, but after the home team's Fernando failed again with the sixth kick, veteran defender Miguel Soler tucked the ball away for a 3-4 final result.

Second division A side Terrassa were the first team to qualify for the third round after defeating giant killers Novelda 0-3. All three goals came late in the game, with the forgotten man Pier scoring twice and Dot adding a third in the last minute.

Matches played on 6th November

Three more first division sides crashed out of the cup in another night of upsets. Valencia, Athletic Bilbao and Málaga all lost to lower division opposition, Osasuna scraped through on penalties and Betis and Valladolid were taken to extra time by their opponents. In fact only the two Madrid teams Real and Atlético made it through the round comfortably, with the rest of the first division teams qualifying by one goal margins. So far two second division B sides and three more from the second division A will be in the upcoming third round draw together with ten from the top flight, with Numancia and Celta to play tomorrow night.

The biggest shock came in the last match to finish though, with Valencia throwing away a two goal lead in the last five minutes of extra time at Alicante, and finally losing in the penalty shoot out. The first 90 minutes finished one all, with goals from Mista for the visitors and Salcedo for the home side in the second half. Juan Sánchez and Mista scored in extra time, but two goals in a minute near the end from Juli and Toni García made it 3-3 and took the match to penalties. Fabio Aurelio missed the last kick to take Alicante through 5-4 in the shoot out.

Athletic Bilbao were also dumped out by a second division B team after leading in the first half at the border town of Irún. They went in front against local side Real Unión through Julen Guerrero, but Sukía headed an equaliser midway through the second half, and in the last minute Etxarri converted a penalty after Larrainzar pushed over Sergio Francisco to give his side a 2-1 win. The result puts more pressure on manager Jupp Heynckes.

Málaga's season is starting to come apart after an excellent start, and they were beaten 2-0 by second division leaders Xerez. Both goals came in the last five minutes from Cachorro free kicks, with Dani Pendín heading in the first and Cachorro scoring the second directly himself from a wide angle.

The most exciting match of the round was undoubtedly at Palamos, where the local side eventually lost 3-6 to Betis in extra time. The Catalans went two up through a Melli own goal and a strike by Toño, and although Joaquín headed one back before the break, Sarabia restored the two goal cushion early in the second half. Fernando and Rivas made it all square though, and three goals by Joaquín, Assunçao and Varela in the 30 minutes added on took the Andalucians through.

Osasuna followed in the tracks of Mallorca the night before, going through against Eibar on the penalty shoot out after a goalless match. It took sixteen spot kicks before the game was decided though, with Jon Kortina missing the last one for the home side and Cruchaga keeping his cool to score for the visitors.

Valladolid only just made it, beating Getafe 1-2 in extra time thanks to a goal by Colsa after good work by Nico Olivera. Juan Carlos had given the second division team the lead in the first half, and only a late strike by Pachón kept the visitors in the game.

No trouble though for Real Madrid, who put out a reserve side and still beat Oviedo 0-4. Del Bosque kept faith with young strikers Portillo and Tote after they scored a hat-trick each in the first round, and they both scored twice again in this game, one apiece in each half, to leave the Asturians down and out.

Atlético Madrid manager Luis Aragonés also gave a run out to some of his lesser used players at Cultural Leonesa, but they ran out comfortable winners in the end. The man who did the damage was Stankovic, who staked his claim for a first team place setting up both goals in the second half of their 0-2 win, the first for Coloccini and the second for Correa.

Perhaps the most airly matched tie of the round was between Zaragoza and Alavés, where the first division side went through with a 1-2 victory. Rubén Navarro scored both goals for the visitors in the first half, and although Cani pulled one back after the break it was not enough.

Sevilla also won 1-2 away at Linares, a game which was stopped for a quarter of an hour or so in the second half due to the failure of one of the floodlights. Antoñito had given the visitors the lead a few minutes earlier, and after the teams decided to carry on in semi-darkness, Tomás added a second from a free kick. A late penalty from Serrano after Javi Navarro handled in the area set up an interesting last few minutes though.

The first division's bottom team Recreativo Huelva forgot their troubles for a while to defeat Almería 0-1. The only goal came early in the second half from Gallego after Kaiku set him up.

Murcia won the all second division battle against Badajoz by 1-0, and are now hoping they draw a big first division side in the next round. Their goal came from Richi midway through the first half.

Match played on 7th November

Celta were the fourth first division side to be knocked out in the second round of the competition after losing 1-0 at Numancia. The only goal of the match came from Rosu with a quarter of an hour gone, signalling a sad return for Miguel Angel Lotina to the ground where he made his name as a manager. Patrick Suffo went close to increasing the home side's lead either side of half time, but after ex Celta midfielder Manolo Sánchez was sent off for a second bookable offence near the end, Jesuli almost equalised with a shot which rattled the crossbar. Numancia join five other second division sides in the draw for the third round, which will take place over two legs in January.