Champions League, day 1

AEK Athens 1 - Deportivo La Coruña 1

A late goal from AEK Athens midfielder Tsartas deprived Deportivo of a possible three points in their opening game of this year's league stage. The Galicians had been the better side in the first half, and had taken the lead in the twelfth minute when Pandiani got on the end of Víctor's corner to head down past Chiotis. Luque went close and the referee failed to spot a clear hand ball by Moras in the area as Depor pushed forward for a second, and Héctor sent a shot just over the bar after the restart. But the Greek side recovered later in the second half, with Okkas heading straight at Molina when free in front of goal and Ivic shooting into the side netting a few minutes later. Then with four minutes to go Tsartas took a pass from Nalitzis and struck a fierce shot which went through Molina's legs into the net for the equaliser. (17.09.03)

Real Sociedad 1 - Olympiakos 0

Real Sociedad rounded off a good first day for Spanish clubs with a victory in their first ever match in the Champions League. However their opponents Olympiakos put up a good fight, and in the end it took a late penalty from Kovacevic to take the three points. Real looked nervous at the start, and the nippy Djordjevic gave the home fans a fright early on. And it was not until a minute before half time that the Basque side had their first real effort on target, Katergiannis just managing to scramble the ball away for a corner from a powerful Kovacevic header. The introduction of Nihat and Lee Chun Soo on the hour mark changed things though, and the Turkish forward in particular proved to be a nightmare for the local defence. Then with ten minutes to go Kostoulas chopped down Kovacevic in the area, and the Serbian striker stepped up to score the winning goal from the penalty spot. (17.09.03)

Real Madrid 4 - Olympique Marseille 2

Real Madrid recorded what in the end was a comfortable victory over Olympique Marseille, although they did have a few shaky minutes when they fell behind to a Drogba goal midway through the first half. It only took them eight minutes to turn the scoreline around though, Roberto Carlos making it all square with a first time bouncing volley from Beckham's cross, and Ronaldo getting on the end of a ball in from Salgado after the full back had danced through the defence. Madrid's domination continued in to the second half, with Ronaldo picking up a loose ball after a good run by Zidane to crash home a third, and Figo made it four with a twice taken penalty after keeper Runje had brought down Roberto Carlos. There were questions about their defence though once again as Van Buyten rose to head home a late corner for his side's second, but with eleven goals in favour now in two games, nobody was worrying too much about that. (16.09.03)

Club Brugge 1 - Celta Vigo 1

Celta got a valuable away draw in their first ever appearance in the Champions League, although they probably felt they could have done better after Club Brugge scored a late equaliser when down to ten men. Although Lotina put out a defensive line up, Milosevic and Vagner could have put the Spaniards ahead in the first half. Just before the break Mendoza was sent off for the home side for throwing the ball at José Ignacio, and when Juanfran cut in from the left wing to put Celta ahead four minutes in to the second half it looked like they were on the way to victory. But the Belgians came back to equalise seven minutes from the end when substitute Saeternes shot across goal, and Berizzo and Juanfran could only steer the ball into their own net. Brugge ended with nine players after Martens got a second booking in the last minute for diving, but it was too late for Celta to take advantage. (16.09.03)

News archive