Champions' League - eighth finals, first leg

Deportivo 1 - Juventus 0

A good result by Deportivo, who have a more than even chance of reaching the last eight after beating Juventus 1-0. Irureta's side were playing the Italians for the fourth season in a row, looking for revenge after their elimination from the competition last season. And they completely dominated their opponents, inspired by Valerón who had a hand in most of his side's moves. Luque got the only goal shortly before half time, taking advantage of a mistake by Thuram who headed Scaloni's cross up into the air, the young forward thumping the ball into the net as it fell to the ground. (25.02.04)

Real Sociedad 0 - Olympique Lyon 1

Real Sociedad showed their inexperience in the competition when they fell 0-1 at home to Lyon. The Basque side had been undefeated in 24 European matches at home, but they went behind early on when Schürrer turned Malouda's cross past his own keeper. Westerveld had to make a couple of first class saves to stop the French side from going further ahead, and Real didn't trouble Coupet until late in the game, when a vicious Karpin free kick bounced down off the crossbar. Even so Malouda could have got a second for the visitors when he hit the post in the dying minutes. (25.02.04)

Bayern Munich 1 - Real Madrid 1

A mistake by Bayern Munich's Oliver Kahn helped Real Madrid to a 1-1 draw in the Olympic stadium in Munich. The German side had taken the lead a quarter of an hour from the end when Roy Makaay got on the end of Pizarro's cross to head past Casillas. But with six minutes to go the veteran keeper let a low Roberto Carlos free kick through his hands and in to the net for a vital away goal for the Spaniards. It was the first time that Madrid had taken a point away from Munich in nine visits and they are now favourites to go through when the two sides meet again in a fortnight's time. (24.02.04)

Celta Vigo 2 - Arsenal 3

Celta lost 2-3 to Arsenal in their first leg match, and now have to win by two clear goals in Highbury in a fortnight's time to continue in the competition. The English side took the lead with just over a quarter of an hour gone when Edu forced the ball past Cavallero. Four minutes later though it was the turn of Celta's Edu to score, the Brazilian midfielder heading Sylvinho's free kick past Lehmann. But it was Arsenal's Edu who came out on top when he fired a shot in to the far top corner of the net on the hour mark. José Ignacio made it all square again, but Pires restored the lead with ten minutes to go after Henry set him up. (24.02.04)

News archive