Copa del Rey

Quarter finals, second leg

Valencia were the first club to qualify for the semi-finals, Ronald Koeman's side going through on the away goal rule despite a 3-2 defeat at Atlético Madrid. Within twenty minutes of the kick off the locals had overturned their visitors' first leg lead, Miguel turning Diego Forlán's cross past his own keeper under pressure from Eller and Agüero scoring a second with an angled shot across Hildebrand after Forlán set him up. But before half time Valencia drew back level, Cléber deflecting the ball past his own keeper trying to clear from David Villa and Mata firing a shot wide of Falcón after good work by Banega. Atlético needed two to win, and Forlán hit the post a few minutes after the restart before Valera restored the lead with a header from Luis García's corner. However they were unable to get that last goal, and the Chés keep up their hopes of salvaging something from a disastrous season.

Last year's beaten finalists Getafe have another chance of a first ever piece of silverware after they too classified for the last four on the away goal rule, the 1-0 first leg victory the deciding factor after they lost 2-1 at Mallorca. The Balearic Islanders soon levelled the tie when Ibagaza's cross hit Licht on the arm, referee Iturralde González awarding a penalty which Ibagaza himself converted. Güiza had a couple of chances to increase the lead, and De la Red went close twice either side of half time. Eventually Arango headed Gregorio Manzano's side in front after the interval from Güiza's cross, but with ten minutes to go a long free kick from Granero (who was later sent off for a high tackle on Fernando Navarro) bounced past everyone into the net. Getafe continue to make history with their second semi-final in consecutive years. (30.01.08)

A goal from Thierry Henry was just enough to see Barcelona through 1-0 against Villarreal after a scoreless draw in the first leg. Messi was a constant nightmare for the visiting defence, with Diego López making a couple of good saves and Cygan getting himself sent off after a second booking for a tackle on the Argentinian star. Iniesta and Deco also shot over the top as Frank Rijkaard's side dominated, although Rossi fired a shot just wide at the other end. Henry headed in Deco's free kick close to half time from a possible offside position to open the scoring, and the French striker brought a good save out of the keeper after the restart. Messi had a chance to wrap things up from the penalty spot after Diego López brought down Bojan, but the keeper guessed right and pushed his kick out for a corner. Ronaldinho came on for the last quarter of the game and went close himself, although the local fans were on the edge of their seats until the final whistle.

Racing Santander made it through to their first ever cup semi-final after a 3-3 draw at Athletic Bilbao earlier in the evening. A two goal lead from the first leg was pegged back when Amorebieta headed in Yeste's free kick and then Muñoz slotted home a penalty after Oriol fouled Llorente, but Duscher connected with Oscar Serrano's cross to get one back after the break. Susaeta restored the two goal cushion with a shot into the roof of the net after Llorente's first effort had been blocked, and Gabilondo had a penalty appeal turned down soon afterwards. But Tchité beat Aranzubia after César Navas headed across Colsa's free kick, and Serrano ran through to score a third in injury time to take the Cantabrians through to Friday's draw. (31.01.08)