Champions League, day 4

Honours were shared in both Champions League matches involving Spanish sides on Tuesday. Barcelona were surprisingly held to a 1-1 draw by Basel, Messi coming on to score but seeing his strike cancelled out by Derdiyok late on. And Atlético Madrid drew by the same scoreline at Liverpool, Maxi appearing to have given them victory until an injury time Gerrard penalty saved a point for the English side. Neither of the Spanish teams could win the following day either, Real Madrid falling to a second defeat against Juventus, with Del Piero getting both goals for the Italians as the game ended 0-2. Villarreal took the lead twice against Aalborg, through Rossi and then Guille Franco, but both times the Danish side came back to save a 2-2 draw. (05.11.08)

Real Madrid 0 - Juventus 2

Real Madrid were beaten for the second time in a fortnight by Juventus, and they still have some work to do in the remaining two games if they are to reach the next round. Del Piero put the Italian side ahead with just over a quarter of an hour gone, running on to fire a shot wide of Casillas. Sergio Ramos failed to convert an easy chance a few minutes later, and penalty appeals for fouls on Van Nistelrooy and Raúl were turned down soon after the restart. But midway through the second half Del Piero took advantage of a badly placed defensive wall to curl a shot in to the net and wrap things up. (05.11.08)

Aalborg 2 - Villareal 2

Villarreal just need one point from the next two matches to ensure a place in the knockout stage after drawing 2-2 at Aalborg. Pellegrini's side took the lead twice, the first shortly before half time when Rossi picked up a pass from Pires and cut in past two defenders to fire an angled shot past Zaza. The locals equalised though a few minutes after the interval, Curth lashing a shot past Diego López after Caca had set him up with a clever back-heel. And although Guille Franco restored the lead after controlling Cani's lofted pass to score, the Danish side saved a point thanks to a well struck free kick from Due near the end. (05.11.08)

Barcelona 1 - Basel 1

After a big win away from home a fortnight ago, Barcelona were expected to clock up an easy victory against Basel. Pep Guardiola rested several of his key players, but the Swiss team held fast, and with an hour on the clock the coach was forced to turn to Messi and Xavi. Within a minute Messi combined with Henry to open the scoring, but ten minutes from the end Derdiyok connected with a Carlitos cross to equalise. The draw was still enough to ensure Barcelona's passage through to the next round, but their run of eleven wins on the trot had come to an end, and they will now have to battle with Sporting Lisbon for top spot in their group. (04.11.08)

Liverpool 1 - Atlético Madrid 1

Atlético Madrid were seconds away from an epic victory in Anfield, but in the end they had to settle for a draw after Liverpool equalised with a controversial last minute penalty. The English side threw everything they had at their opponents for the first half hour. But Atlético scored with virtually their first shot on target, Maxi picking up Antonio López's pass and running on to beat Reina shortly before the break. The second half carried on in the same vein, Agger, Gerrard and Carragher all going close. But with the game coming to an end the referee ruled that Pernía had fouled Gerrard in the area, and the England midfielder drilled home the resulting spot kick. (04.11.08)