News Archive

Match round-up - Second Division A, Day 15

Recreativo's new manager Raúl Agné got off to a good start with a 1-1 draw at Levante on Sunday lunchtime. The ex Girona coach saw his side take the lead through Pablo Sánchez with under a quarter of an hour on the clock. But substitute Igor headed the equaliser later in the second half from a Rubén Suárez corner to keep his side two points ahead of their opponents in the top half of the table.

Later in the evening Betis missed out on a chance to move up in to the top three after they were beaten 2-0 by bottom club Murcia. Both goals came in the first ten minutes, Capdevila and Isaac taking advantage of poor defending to give new coach José González a second home win in a row. Murcia move off the foot of the table to the detriment of Castellón, who lost 2-1 at Gimnàstic. Campano's first half strike was cancelled out by a Nico Medina header, but Cherfa won it for the Catalans with a long free kick with ten minutes to go. Elsewhere Las Palmas and Villarreal B drew 0-0, a result which left both safely in mid-table. (06.12.09)

Real Sociedad are back on top of the second division after beating neighbours Real Unión 4-1 on Saturday. Carlos Bueno started things off in the tenth minute after good work from Nsue, and central defender Ansotegi added two more in eight minutes from successive corners. Brit got one back on the stroke of half time, but Nsue headed a fourth with a quarter of an hour to go from Elustondo's cross. Hércules could have been level with the Basque side though had Farinós not missed a late penalty at Córdoba after the referee ruled (incorrectly) that a local defender had handled in the area. Danciulescu had given the visitors an early lead, but Artega made it 1-1 shortly before the interval. The Alicante based side were grateful for a point though after playing over half the match with ten men following the sending off of Sendoa for a second bookable offence.

Last week's leaders Cartagena drop to third after losing 2-1 to Numancia. The East coast side were missing key players due to a bout of swine flu, and they went two down at the break after Iñigo Vélez converted two assists from Barkero. Toché got one back in the last minute, but too late to change the result. The Soria based side move to within three points of their opponents, level with Elche, who were held to a 1-1 draw by Cádiz. The locals were left with ten men in the eighth minute when Enrique was shown a straight red card, but numbers were levelled up when Samuel picked up a second booking soon after the restart. Jorge Molina beat Casilla with a back heel flick to give the home side the lead a couple of minutes later, but Diego Tristán lobbed Caballero to equalise a few minutes later. Elche ended with nine men after Acciari was also sent off in injury time.

Salamanca are also on 23 points after coming from behind to beat Albacete 3-2. Linares put the hosts in front midway through the first half, but four minutes later Stuani equalised from the penalty spot after Salva Ballesta was fouled, and Salva himself scored a second with a lob from the halfway line just a minutes after the restart. Salva Sevilla made it all square again though with a well struck free kick, and Linares notched up his second of the night with ten minutes to go to tie up the three points. Rayo Vallecano drop two points behind the chasing pack after losing 2-1 at Huesca. Second half goals from Víctor Pérez and Robert ensured a third home win in a row before Pelegrín headed one back in injury time, and both sides ended with ten men after Rafa García and Corona were sent off.

Further down the table, Celta won 1-2 at Girona, a result which saved the head of visiting coach Eusebio for another week or so at least. Iago Aspas put the Galicians in front in the tenth minute from the penalty spot after the referee ruled that Tortolero had fouled Michu, and although Matamala equalised after the restart, Botelho got was to prove the winner following a corner a few minutes later. By then the Catalans were playing with ten men after keeper Jorquera was sent off for handling outside of the area, but they could still have saved a point had Matamala not missed a late penalty after Vasco handled in the box. (05.12.09)