News Archive

Copa del Rey, quarter final, second leg

Atlético Madrid will meet Racing Santander in the semi-finals of the cup after beating Celta 0-1 on a rainy night in Vigo. A packed crowd turned up to support the second division side after their 1-1 draw in the first leg, but midway through the first half they saw their team fall behind after Diego Forlán won the ball off Noguerol and ran on to beat Yoel. The keeper did well to save from Simao and Forlán after the restart, but the home team came close to forcing thirty minutes of extra time, Trashorras having a goal from a quickly taken free kick ruled out by referee Pérez Lasa, and then crossing in for Joselu to head against the bar.

Getafe are through to their third semi-final in four years after knocking out Mallorca on the away goal rule. With a 1-2 advantage from the first leg, Michel's side were favourites to qualify. However they should have gone behind on the half hour mark when Ustari stopped an Aduríz penalty after Rafa tripped Chori Castro in the area. Just before the break Aduríz made up for his mistake, getting in front of the keeper to head a Julio Alvarez corner down in to the net and make it 0-1 on the night. But Rubén headed an easy chance against the bar soon after the restart, and after that the home side shut up shop to the end. (28.01.10)

Sevilla made it through to the semi-finals of the cup despite a second leg 0-1 defeat against Deportivo on Wednesday evening. The tie was virtually over after the Andalusians won 0-3 in the Riazor stadium a week ago, and both coaches used the occasion to try out lesser used players. The smaller than usual crowd were hardly entertained however until Bodipo opened the scoring shortly before half time after Pablo Alvarez set him up. Luis Fabiano went close after the restart, and Manu produced a first class save from Lolo's header a few minutes later, but everybody was relieved when the final whistle went a few minutes before midnight.

Racing Santander are also in to the last four after a convincing 0-3 win at Osasuna, taking them through 5-1 on aggregate. Pandiani's late strike in the first leg had given Camacho's side hope, but with only five minutes gone Xisco picked up a pass from Canales and went past Sergio to beat Roberto from a wide angle. And midway through the first half it was virtually over after Henrique headed in a Canales corner to make it two. Coltorti was called upon after that to keep out Pandiani and Aranda, but with ten minutes to go Canales curled a free kick inside Roberto's near post to extend the Cantabrians' unbeaten run to eight games. (27.01.10)