News Archive

Match round-up - Second Division A, Day 29

Betis finally made it up to the promotion spots after a 2-0 victory over bottom club Castellón on Monday night, the result taking them above Cartagena thanks to the better head-to-head record between the two teams. Jonathan Pereira put Víctor Fernández's side ahead following a corner on the quarter hour mark, but Goitia had to be on his toes after that to keep out Ulloa, who also had a strike ruled out for a borderline offside after the restart. With three minutes to go though Sergio García scored his team's second after good work by Caffa to make it four wins in a row for the Andalusians. /22.03.10)

Real Sociedad will end the weekend three points clear at the top of the second division after a 3-1 victory over fifth placed Levante on Sunday lunchtime. Bueno headed the Basque side in to the lead from Xabi Prieto's cross on the half hour mark, but the visitors equalised with a quarter of an hour to go, Juanlu turning the ball back in to the net after Claudio Bravo had saved a penalty from Samuel. Ballesteros was sent off a minute later though for a second bookable offence, and Ansotegi headed another Prieto cross past Manu to put the locals back in front. Local police had to intervene as coaches Martin Lasarte and Luis García were sent off for arguing with each other, and with everything in turmoil Zurutuza netted an injury time third to take Real a step closer to a much desired return to the top flight.

Later in the evening Numancia moved further away from the promotion spots after they could only draw 0-0 at Girona. Barkero hit the bar with a first half free kick and the locals replied with a couple of efforts before the break from José and Xumetra, but in the end the points were shared. A draw as well between Cádiz and Rayo Vallecano, this time 1-1. Abraham gave the locals the lead on the quarter hour mark, but Edu Albacar equalised for the visitors with a well struck free kick midway through the second half. The result leaves Cádiz still down in the bottom four, now further away from safety after Huesca beat Salamanca 2-0. Gilvan opened the scoring for the home side shortly before half time, and Mikel rico made sure of the three points with an angled shot twenty minutes before the end. (21.03.10)

Third placed Cartagena lost 1-0 to Celta on Saturday night, leaving the way open for Betis or Levante to move up to the promotion spots this weekend. The visitors started well, Toché having a goal disallowed for a borderline offside and then seeing another effort saved by young keeper Yoel. But with just over half an hour gone Trashorras got on the end of Abalo's low cross to score, and the Galicians could have added to their lead after the restart. Villarreal B are now only three points behind Juan Ignacio Martínez's side after a 3-1 victory over struggling Real Unión. The Basque side were left with nine men early in the second half after Montoro and then Gabarain were both shown second yellow cards, and strikes by Jefferson Montero, Cristóbal and Marco Rubén finished them off before Gorka Brit's late consolation.

Elche moved up to eighth pending Sunday's games after an action-packed 2-1 victory over an Albacete side who drop further down in to the relegation spots as a result. Visiting coach David Vidal saw his new side fall behind to a goal from Saúl just before the break. By then they were playing with ten men after Belencoso was sent off, but numbers were evened up when local keeper Willy Caballero was also red-carded for a foul on Altobelli on the hour mark, Stuani converting the penalty. Stuani fired a second penalty against the post soon afterwards, and with a few minutes to go Juli got the winner after Molina set him up. To make matters worse for Albacete, their own keeper Notario was also sent off in injury time.

Córdoba moved safely up to mid-table after a 0-2 victory at Gimnàstic, who have not won now in six games despite a change of manager. The Andalusians had the better chances before Pepe Díaz headed the first past Rubén Pérez from José Vega's assist, and Vega himself got the second with a deflected shot with a quarter of an hour to go. Recreativo are level with Córdoba after a 1-1 draw at Las Palmas later in the evening, the point keeping the Huelva based side one above their opponents. Curiously local midfielder Miguel García got both the goals, the first from the penalty spot for his own side after Bouzón fouled Rondón on the stroke of half time, and the second a header in to his own net following a second half corner! (20.03.10)

Hércules moved back to the top of the table pending the rest of the weekend's games after drawing 0-0 at Murcia on Friday night. The locals had the better of the first half, with Calatayud in particular recovering well to save an effort from Chando. After the break though they were rapidly down to nine men after Iñaki Bea and then Capdevila were sent off, but Sergio Rodríguez was also red-carded for the visitors with five minutes to go. The best chances came after that Calatayud keeping out Aguilera and Portillo heading wide with the goal at his mercy. (19.03.10)