News Archive

Match round-up - Second Division A, Day 35

Real Unión have not given up hope of survival, and they moved to within a point of safety after a 1-2 victory over Gimnàstic on Monday night. Mairata headed the locals in front following a corner ten minutes before half time, but the Basque side scored a well deserved equaliser when Descarga headed Salcedo's cross past Rubén on the hour mark. And with ten minutes to substitute Rubén Durán fired a shot past the keeper from the edge of the area to tie up a second win in a row. (03.05.10)

Levante moved back up to second in the table after a 2-1 win over regional rivals Hércules on Sunday lunchtime. The visitors started the day a point above their rivals in the table, and they went in front with five minutes on the clock when Delibasic headed a cross past Reina. Sendoa and Tote both could have increased the lead a few minutes later, but soon afterwards Juanlu fired a shot past Calatayud to equalise. After that the locals were on top, and substitute Xisco Nadal got what was to prove the winner after Juanlu set him up with twenty minutes to go. Three minutes later Peña was sent off for a second bookable offence to leave the Alicante based side with ten men ,and it was all over.

Only two games on Sunday evening, both involving teams struggling in the lower reaches of the table. Salamanca are in deep trouble after losing 1-2 to Recreativo, a result which means they end the weekend down in the bottom four. Visiting keeper saved a Hugo Leal penalty with only two minutes gone, and later in the first half Barrales headed the Andalusians in to the lead. Linares converted a second penalty after Kike was fouled midway through the second half to make it all square, but just four minutes later Javi Fuego put Recre back in front with a direct free kick. Murcia climb above Salamanca on goal difference despite being held to a 1-1 draw by bottom club Castellón. José González's side had been beaten in their last four games, but although they lost Bruno to a second yellow card five minutes in to the second half, they took the lead through Mejía with a quarter of an hour to go. Ulloa headed in Pedro's cross to equalise though with a couple of minutes left to leave his side seven points away from safety. (02.05.10)

Real Sociedad opened up a five point gap at the top of the table after beating Rayo Vallecano 1-0 on Saturday evening. The only goal of the game came on the half hour mark, when Xabi Prieto headed in Griezmann's corner. Riesgo did well to save from Pachón soon after the restart, but only two or three good saves from his opposite number Dani prevented Griezmann, Sergio and Zurutuza from adding to the scoreline later on. Cartagena would appear to be Real's closest rivals right now, and they are back in second place after a 0-2 win at Huesca. The woodwork took a beating in the first half, Gilvan and Luis Helguera for the home side and De Lucas for the visitors all hitting the post. But De Lucas converted a penalty with an hour on the clock after Toché was fouled, and with the game coming to an end Toché beat Toni Doblas to wrap things up.

Pre-season favourites Betis are now four points off the pace after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Las Palmas. Things went against them in only the fourth minute when Damià was sent off for giving away a penalty on Saúl, Goitia at least keeping the scores level after saving Marcos Márquez's spot kick. Numbers were evened up when Miguel García was also red-carded five minutes after the restart, and Emaná picked up a pass from Jonathan Pereira to put the Andalusians ahead with twenty minutes to go. But with two minutes to go Rondón equalised to save a point for Paco Jémez's side. Numancia stay two points behind Betis after they too could only draw 1-1 against Albacete. Stuani intercepted a bad pass by Jaio to open the scoring for the away side with twenty minutes gone, but substitute Iñigo Vélez equalised after Barkero headed on Del Pino's free kick with ten minutes to go. Local striker Goitia was sent off for a second bookable offence five minutes later, and David Vidal's team went on to make it six games in a row without defeat.

Girona are a step closer to safety this season after coming from behind to beat Córdoba 2-1. Arteaga put the visitors ahead in only the seventh minute after good work by Asen, and Peragón missed a great chance to equalise after he fired a penalty against the post soon afterwards. Kiko Ratón converted a second penalty though after Peragón was fouled again in the area, and the striker netted his second of the evening soon after the restart to give his side the lead. Pepe Díaz missed a third penalty late on however which could have saved a point for the Andalusians. Celta also moved away from the danger zone after beating struggling Cádiz 2-1. The Galicians started the weekend just three points above their opponents, but Michu won it for them twenty minutes from the end after De la Cuesta had cancelled out Dani Abalo's third minute strike. (01.05.10)

Elche's recent surge up the table came to an abrupt end when they lost 2-3 to regional neighbours Villarreal B on Friday evening. After five wins and a draw in their last six games, Pepe Bordalás's side were in a confident mood, but that soon changed when Jefferson Montero's inswinging corner went over the head of Willy Caballero in to the net. Juan Carlos had to be at his best to keep out several local attacks after that, but on the stroke of half time the visitors went further ahead when Ripa turned Marco Rubén's cross in to his own net. Elche were left with ten men when Acciari was sent off soon after the restart, and Bordas could have increased the lead when he hit the post soon afterwards. But the home side fought back to level the scores, Jorge Molina heading in Generelo's centre and substitute Jesús Perera turning in a cross from Saúl. A minute later though Montero restored the lead on a quick breakaway, and the youngsters held on for a win which took them above their opponents and up to the top three pending the rest of the weekend's results. (30.04.10)