First Division - Day 2

Málaga 3 - Real Madrid 3

Málaga: Contreras; Rojas, Larrainzar, Bravo, Valcarce; Rufete (Ruano 60'), Movilla, De los Santos, Agostinho 60'); Darío Silva (Basti 13', Sandro 63'), Dely Valdés. 4-4-2.
Real Madrid: Casillas; Michel Salgado (McManaman 67'), Iván Campo (Karanka 55'), Iván Helguera, Roberto Carlos; Figo, Celades, Makelele (Guti 55'), Savio; Raúl, Munitis. 4-4-2.

Team changes: Málaga: Agostinho for Musampa / Madrid: None.

0-1. 16. Raúl. Headed Figo's cross from right down past Contreras.
1-1. 33. Dely Valdes. Deflected Movilla's shot with his heel past Casillas.
2-1. 47. Agostinho. After Basti headed on a long throw from right.
3-1. 56. Movilla. Blasted through crowded defence on third attempt.
3-2. 58. Celades. From close range after unselfish square pass from Munitis.
3-3. 80. Guti. Powerful header on far post from Figo's free kick.

An exciting match in Málaga, with Real Madrid coming back from two goals down for the second time in four days, and almost snatching it at the end when Raúl's penalty was saved by Contreras. After struggling midweek in their Champions League game, Del Bosque switched back to the line up he used against Valencia in the league, with Celades accompanying Makelele in midfield. During the week Flavio admitted that he was having trouble settling in , and he was left at home to give him time to think things over, and also to get over a slight groin strain which he has been carrying for some time. Morientes is back in training, but is not likely to be kicking a ball until the end of the month, so Munitis stayed up front with Raúl. Hierro was also reserved for the midweek game against Spartak Moscow.

Joaquín Peiró also kept a virtually unchanged side, only bringing back Agostinho in a team including several ex Real Madrid players. One more will be added to that list as from next week, Canabal finally agreeing to move down south after Rayo Vallecano's offer did not meet Madrid's expectations. His presence may well be needed sooner than he thinks, as one of Málaga's strikers, Uruguayan Darío Silva, was taken out by Michel Salgado early in the game and could be out for some time. Darío had started the game well, and broke free in the first minute of the game, only to shoot over the bar. Málaga were looking the more dangerous in the opening minutes, but it was Madrid who scored first, Raúl getting in front of the defence to head a simple goal past Contreras from Figo's pinpoint cross.

Madrid then seemed to rest on their laurels, and Málaga came back to score three times and take the lead. First Dely Valdés got a touch on Movilla's shot (although the referee awarded the goal to Movilla), then just after half time Agostinho added a second. Movilla was taking charge of midfield, his shaven head unmistakable, and he powered through to score the third at the third time of asking after his first two shots were blocked by the defence. Del Bosque had just brought on Karanka and Guti and that wasn't what he expected, but only two minutes later his team were back in it after Munitis unselfishly laid the ball across the goalmouth for Celades to score into an empty net.

On came Steve McManaman (at right back!), the Englishmen finally back in favour after being transfer listed, but Macca was obviously out of match practice and did little to change the flow. Nine minutes from time the visitors were level though, as Guti rose to head in Figo's free kick. This was the third match in a row that they have come from behind to score twice, and thistime it was worth a point. Málaga kept up their attacks, but when referee Fernández Marín awarded a dubious penalty as Munitis went over the feet of Contreras it looked as if the escape act was complete. But the ghost of Raúl's Euro 2000 miss against France was still not purged, and Contreras dived to his right to save his spot kick. The points were shared, fairly as it appeared, and the game came to an end.