Second Division A - Day 42

An incredible end to the season, with Betis and Tenerife winning promotion and Atlético Madrid staying in the second division. Betis won a bad tempered match against neighbours Jaén by 0-2, with a goal in each half by their Argentinian strikers Amato and Casas. With so much at stake nerves were on a knife edge, and there was fighting both on and off the pitch. Betis finish second, and join their city rivals Sevilla back in the first division after only one season at the second level. After the game Betis president Manuel Ruiz de Lopera surprisingly announced he was leaving the club, fed up with spending his money and being attacked by the tax authorites. Tenerife were up against over 5,000 Atlético Madrid fans at Leganés, and the home side players were reportedly on an illegal cash bonus of 200 million Pesetas offered jointly by Atlético and Betis, more than the players earn in a whole season. Still Tenerife managed to win 0-1 thanks to a single goal by Hugo Morales a quarter of an hour from the end, and they win promotion after finishing in third place, ahead of Atlético on particular goal average. They are already looking forward to their games against Las Palmas next season.

Atlético Madrid did their best and won their game at neighbours Getafe 0-1, but Tenerife's victory left them down and out. For 45 minutes they were in the first division after Luque scored from a free kick in the first half, but a deep silence fell on the ground when Morales scored for the Canary Islanders. Club president Jesus Gil was magnanimous in defeat, although his car was attacked by angry fans when he left the ground. To paraphrase Gil's words at the start of the season, they will now have to spend another short year in hell before coming back to the top flight. Luis Aragonés will still take over as manager next season though, and they can salvage something from the season in the cup next week when they play Zaragoza.

In the battle for the last relegation spot, Elche managed to save themselves after coming from two goals down to draw 2-2 at home to Compostela. Gudelj and Jubera gave the visitors hope within the first half hour, but Nano pulled one back before half time and Benja levelled the scores after the break to keep them one point above their rivals. Compostela join Lleida, Getafe and Universidad Las Palmas, who at least ended their season with a 2-3 victory at Albacete. The home side took a two goal lead through Javi Guerrero and Mikel with only twelve minutes gone, but an Alexis penalty and goals by Santana and Yaray spoilt the party for Albacete manager Julian Rubio, who is leaving this summer.

League champions Sevilla won their last match against Eibar 2-1 in a festival atmosphere at the Sánchez Pizjuán stadium. Nico Olivera opened the scoring within three minutes and although Artetxa equalised before half time, a late free kick from Fredi gave them the three points, taking them on to 80 for the season. Sevilla return to the top flight after only one season back in the second division. No such celebrations in Salamanca, where the crowd called for the heads of the management after losing their last match 1-2 to a ten man Murcia. Figueroa scored for the visitors in the tenth minute, but then had to leave the field to make way for the substitute goalkeeper after Diezma was sent off a few minutes later. Even then Tonelotto made it two just after half time, and although Toedtli pulled one back a few minutes later the match ended with a victory for the visitors. Having failed to win promotion Salamanca may now have financial problems, with players still due wages from previous months.

Recreativo Huelva lost their unbeaten home record in the last game of the season, losing 1-2 to Racing Ferrol. Villa got both goals for the visitors within the first half hour of the match, including a header in the first minute, with Garaygochea putting through his own net just before the half time interval. Bottom club Lleida also ended their season with a disappointing 2-2 draw against Extremadura in front of a crowd of only 400 or so. David Aganzo gave the visitors the lead in the first half, but two goals in a minute from Renaldo in the second half, the first from a penalty, turned the game in Lleida's favour. However Félix earned his side a point with a goal a quarter of an hour from the end in a match which defender David Diez ended up playing in goal after keeper Mora was injured with all substitutions made.

The two draw specialists Levante and Badajoz met in Valencia and guess what? Levante won 2-1. Aurelio scored both goals for the home side before González got a consolation goal near the end. Three players were sent off in the match, first of all Mantecón for the visitors and then Aurelio and Javi Peña for the home side. They both finish mid-table, together with Sporting Gijon and Córdoba, who drew 2-2. All four goals came in the second half, with the visitors taking the lead through Manolo, Soto and Tcherychev putting the home side in the lead and Quini making it all square.