First Division - Day 9

Real Sociedad 2 - Osasuna 1

Real Sociedad: Alberto; López Rekarte, Kvarme, Luiz Alberto, Aranzábal; Aranburu (De Pedro 25'), Xabi Alonso; Tayfun (De Paula 68'), Idiakez, Gabilondo (Demetradze 60'); Jankauskas. 4-2-3-1.
Osasuna: Unzué; Cruchaga, Contreras, Jusué; Yanguas; Puñal, Lekumberri; Rivero (Montenegro 57'), Alfredo, Fernando (David Cano 57'); Iván Rosado (Armentano 68'). 3-3-3-1.

Team changes: Real: Kvarme, Idiakez for Loren, Khokhlov / Osasuna: Puñal, Lekumberri for Gancedo, Armentano.

0-1. 02. Alfredo. Long shot from outside area which caught Alberto out of position.
1-1. 59. Jankauskas. Headed down past keeper from Aranzábal's long centre.
2-1. 85. De Paula. Got in front of defence to head home De Pedro throw in.

Real Sociedad recorded their first victory of the season against local rivals Osasuna to move temporarily at least off bottom spot. The Basque teams are making a habit of helping each other out after Osasuna won their last match of the season at Anoeta to stay up, and this time it was Real who were in need of a victory. John Toshack was still in charge after deciding not to take on Lillo as team coach and move upstairs himself, and he left Russian international Khokhlov in the stands in an attempt to turn things around. It wasn't easy though after the visitors took the lead in the second minute through Alfredo, and Osasuna could have extended their lead soon afterwards when Alberto made a fingertip save from Iván Rosado.

Toshack was clearly not happy with his side, and brought on De Pedro for Aranburu with less than half an hour gone. The Spanish international revitalised his side, causing havoc in the visitors' defence and setting up Jankauskas for a header which Unzué did well to save. However it wasn't until the hour mark that Real finally drew level, Jankauskas heading wide of Unzué from Aranzábal's cross. Then with time running out a late strike by substitute De Paula finally put them in front. Demetradze thought he had made it three when he turned the ball in to the net after De Pedro had hit the bar with a free kick, but referee Pérez Burrull ruled it out incorrectly for offside. It didn't matter though this time, and Real's fans could finally celebrate a victory for the first time this season.