First Division - Day 2

Atlético Madrid 1 - Sevilla 1

Atlético: Burgos; Otero, García Calvo, Hibic, Sergi; Albertini, Emerson; Aguilera (Contra 36'), Fernando Torres, Luis García (Movilla 57'); Javi Moreno (Correa 55'). 4-2-3-1.
Sevilla: Notario; Njegus, Oscar, Pablo Alfaro, David; Casquero, Francisco; Gallardo, Reyes (Antoñito 72'), Fredi; Moisés (Marcos Vales 46'). 4-2-3-1.

Team changes: Atlético: García Calvo, Javi Moreno for Coloccini, Dani / Sevilla: Njegus, Pablo Alfaro, Fredi, Moisés for Redondo, Prieto, Víctor Salas, Toedtli.

0-1. 45. Moisés (penalty). After Sergi brought down Gallardo from behind.
1-1. 58. Fernando Torres. Placed header wide of keeper after Movilla cross.

First division football returned to the Calderón stadium, but it wasn't quite what the Atlético Madrid fans were expecting. Their opponents Sevilla rather spoilt the party with some at times rough and physical football to hold on to a 1-1 draw and take a point away with them. Mono Burgos was called upon to save Atlético a couple of times early on from Gallardo and Moisés, and Aguilera had to leave the field with a broken nose after clashing with the elbow of his good friend and ex team mate Pablo Alfaro.

Contra came on and claimed a penalty soon afterwards after falling under David's challenge, but referee Muñiz Fernández decided he had made a meal of it and booked him for diving. Muñiz had no doubts a few minutes later though when Sergi brought down Gallardo from behind, and Atlético found themselves behind at the break when Moisés tucked the resulting penalty kick away.

Aragonés made his third substitution early in the second half, and the man he brought on Movilla immediately started the play which finished with Fernando Torres heading the equaliser past Notario. Atlético turned on the pressure and Correa hit the bar, and Emerson protested to the referee when Oscar appeared to handle the ball in the area as a cross came over. The locals suffered a blow however when Burgos injured himself saving from Reyes, and with all three changes made he had to stay on the park.

Luckily he was not tested after that, although Sevilla did get close a couple of times on dangerous counterattacks. In the last minute Notario and his defence cleared two efforts off the line, and Fernando Torres went down in the area as the ball came out. However Muñiz booked him for diving, and having already been booked for a similar offence a few minutes earlier the under-21 striker had to leave the field. The referee blew the final whistle soon afterwards, and left the field to a chorus of boos from disappointed fans. This may not be the hell of the second division, but it sure isn't heaven.