First Division - Day 7

Recreativo Huelva 1 - Betis 1

Recreativo: César; Galán (Xisco 55'), Loren (Güiza 70'), Alex (Iker Begoña 35'), Espinola; Javi García, Camacho, Cubillo, Benítez; Oscar Arpón; Raúl Molina. 4-4-1-1.
Betis: Prats; Filipescu, Juanito, Rivas, Luis Fernández; Fernando (Arzu 65'), Ito; Varela, Capi, Denilson (Cañas 80'); Casas (Joaquín 51'). 4-2-3-1.

Team changes: Recreativo: Camacho, Cubillo, Oscar Arpón for José Mari, Iker Begoña, Mario Bermejo / Betis: Filipescu, Fernando, Ito for Marcos Assunçao, Arzu, Joaquín.

0-1. 44. Casas. Drove ball past keeper after Fernando flicked on free kick.
1-1. 76. Xisco. Turned and beat Prats after corner played back into box.

Controversy in this Andalucian derby between Recreativo Huelva and Betis, with the visitors ending the game with eight men after referee Turienzo Alvarez sent off three players. Betis were returning to the ground where they beat Barcelona "in exile" earlier this season thanks to two brilliant goals from Joaquín and Varela. Neither were to have the same luck this time though, with the former being rested for much of the game in preparation for Tuesday night's EUFA cup tie and the latter getting himself a rigorous second yellow card seven minutes before half time.

Recreativo had only picked up one point before this match, but they got off to a lively start, with Raúl Molina shooting inches wide early on. The visitors though had the better quality side, despite the absence of the injured Assunçao, and even with ten men they took the lead just before half time. The goal came from Filipescu's free kick, Fernando flicking the ball on with a back-heel for Casas to drill his shot past César.

Víctor Fernández decided to play it safe in the second half, replacing his sole striker Casas with Joaquín and then taking off another attack-minded player Fernando to bring on Arzu. A good job that he did too, because two minutes after the second change Turienzo produced his second red card of the night after booking Luis Fernández for the second time. Lucas Alcaraz had already brought on one extra striker Xisco, and he added Güiza to join him and Raúl Molina up front. And eventually they made the breakthrough, Xisco turning to score from close range after a corner was played back in to the penalty area by Oscar Arpón.

Three minutes later Betis were left with eight men after the linesman reported an off the ball incident between Filipescu and Raúl Molina, the Romanian getting a straight red card somewhat unfairly after the striker appeared to over-react. Recre seemed certain to get their first win, but Víctor pulled all his men back to defend the point. There was a monumental appeal for a penalty when Juanito bundled over Xisco, but the referee said no. And then a shot from Camacho in injury time hit the outside of the post and bounced away. Time was up, and Recre will have to wait a bit longer for that first win.