First Division - Day 10

Betis 2 - Celta Vigo 1

Betis: Prats; Tais (Arzu 80'), Juanito, Rivas, Luis Fernández; Marcos Assunçao, Ito (Fernando 50'); Joaquín, Capi, Denilson; Casas (Alfonso 50'). 4-2-3-1.
Celta: Cavallero; Velasco (Sergio 15'), Cáceres, Berizzo, Sylvinho; José Ignacio, Luccin (Giovanella 73'); Jesuli (Edu 55'), Mostovoi, Gustavo López; Catanha. 4-2-3-1.

Team changes: Betis: Tais, Casas for Varela, Fernando / Celta: Cáceres, Jesuli for Méndez, Edu.

0-1. 66. José Ignacio. Beat Prats with low shot after Catanha laid ball back.
1-1. 71. Alfonso. Forced ball past Cavallero following Assunçao free kick.
2-1. 88. Joaquín. Tap in from advanced position after Denilson squared across.

Betis moved up to fourth in the table with a controversial late 2-1 victory over Celta. With the scores all square and two minutes to go, Denilson set off on a junking run which took him past the defence and face to face with keeper Prats. Looking up, he saw Joaquín to his right, and without hesitating laid the ball across for him to tap into the net. However the young winger was ahead of his team mate in what looked like an offside position, and their were howls of protest from the Celta players and staff which went on until after the final whistle had gone and the players were walking down the tunnel. Referee Pérez Lasa though shrugged them off and gave the goal.

The game had taken some time to get going, the cold wet conditions appearing to have penetrated the players' brains. The visitors snapped out of it first though, and they were unlucky not to be in front by half time after three dangerous free kicks, Luccin's grazing the bar, Mostovoi's being saved by Prats and Gustavo López's hitting the post. The only reply from Betis was a weak effort from Casas, and early in the second half Víctor Fernández made two changes, bringing on Fernando and also Alfonso, who was just back after an injury.

Still Celta were looking the more dangerous, and Prats saved the day twice following efforts from Gustavo López and Luccin. Eventually the pressure paid off and the visitors took the lead, José Ignacio finishing off after Catanha laid the ball back in a quick passing move. Betis finally woke out of their slumber, and free kick specialist Assunçao showed his opponents how it was done, finding Alfonso with a precision kick for him to force the ball home at the second attempt. Then came Joaquín's goal, taking Betis up to fourth above Víctor's old side on goal difference. The arguments are still going on but the result stands, and the referee's report may result in Celta manager Miguel Angel Lotina receiving a caution after insulting the officials after the game. He was certainly not a happy man.