First Division - Day 18

Sevilla 0 - Málaga 0

Sevilla: Notario; Redondo, Javi Navarro, Oscar, David; Torrado, Casquero; Marcos Vales (Gallardo 65'), Reyes, Fredi (Antoñito 85'); Toedtli. 4-2-3-1.
Málaga: Contreras; Josemi (Rojas 65'), Fernando Sanz, Litos, Valcarce; Gerardo, Manu, Romero (Miguel Angel 84'), Musampa; Darío Silva, Dely Valdés (Canabal 84'). 4-4-2.

Team changes: Sevilla: Oscar, Fredi for Pablo Alfaro, Gallardo / Málaga: Litos, Manu, Romero for Roteta, Miguel Angel, Sandro.

Goals: None.

Sevilla and Málaga drew 0-0 in the Chapín stadium in Jerez on Sunday lunchtime, a result which gave both sides a point in their struggle for survival. Sevilla were serving out the third of their four match ground closure, and were looking to consolidate their recent good run, whereas the visitors were trying to put an end to their spell of eight games without a win. A crowd of over 20,000 turned up for the game, including Sevilla's Pablo Alfaro, who was serving out the first of a three game ban for stamping on Real Madrid's Michel Salgado in their match three weeks ago.

Although there were no goals the first half at least was quite lively, with referee Moreno Delgado upsetting both sets of fans within five minutes of kick off, first of all turning down a penalty appeal when Málaga's Manu brought down Torrado in the area, and then when Notario made a double save from Dely Valdés and then from Darío Silva, who claimed that his shot had crossed the line before the keeper punched it clear.

A few minutes later Manu headed a Dely Valdés cross against the bar, and at the other end Contreras made spectacular saves from Toedtli and then from a Casquero free kick. The visitors were playing the better football though, and Musampa hit the post again before the break after a rapid team move.

Notario was called upon in the second half to tip over a long Gerardo free kick, but Reyes inspired a late revival after that, setting up Toedtli for a chance that he wasted and then getting clear of Fernando Sanz to force a good save out of Conteras. In the end though a second scoreless draw in a row for both sides, who ended the weekend a point apart in the lower half of the table.