Second Division A - Day 8

Levante were held to a 2-2 draw by neighbours Elche on Saturday evening, but still remain top of the second division table. Missing the injured Mijatovic, Congo got another chance up front with Amato. However the danger came from the two wingers, and Jofre put them in front in the first half from a pass by Limones. Elche came back and hit the woodwork twice in the first half, and eventually Raúl Ivars equalised with twenty minutes to go from a long shot which took a deflection off a defender. Two minutes later though, substitute Ettien restored the lead after a long charge down the wing by Jofre, but Elche made it all square again with a late strike from Velasco. It was the first point that Levante had dropped at home.

Xerez moved up level with Levante after a 1-3 victory at Córdoba. Bernd Schuster's squad walked out of training midweek as a protest about non-payment of their back salary, but they put that behind them temporarily and concentrated on playing football. Jauregui kept out the visitors early on with two or three good saves after his defence had let him down, but he was finally beaten by Calle midway through the first half. Ex Málaga midfielder Zárate added a second on the half hour mark before Ramón pulled one back against the run of play from Platero's cross. Zárate hit the bar early in the second half, but Córdoba did give Mora a fright or two in the visitors' goal before Pineda made sure near the end. Córdoba have now gone six games without a win, and they drop into the bottom four.

Albacete move ahead of Las Palmas into third spot after beating the Canary Islanders 2-1. Oscar Montiel gave the home side the lead in the second minute following a short corner, and keeper Roa made two vital saves from Rubén to keep them in front at the break. However the Argentine keeper misjudged a long free kick from Socorro, allowing Reggi to head the equaliser less than a minute after coming on as substitute. Iván Diaz headed the winner though a quarter of an hour from the end from Munteanu's cross to give Las Palmas their first defeat of the season.

Murcia scraped a 2-1 win over Numancia in an incident packed match to rise back up to fourth. The home side were awarded two penalties, one for a foul by Rosu on Tito and the second when Juanma was brought down. Ismael blasted the first over the bar on the stroke of half time, and keeper Reinke elected to take the second and scored. Reinke also proved a match saver at the other end, stopping two shots from Rosu who also hit the post later in the game. Octavio levelled the scores for the Soria based side midway through the second half, and when Cuadrado was sent off for a second bookable offence soon afterwards the visitors were on top. However a thirty yard shot from substitute Isach at the end won it for David Vidal's team.

Terrassa were very close to an away win against Racing Ferrol, but had to settle for a 1-1 draw after Razic scored for the Gallicians from an injury time free kick. Home team keeper De Navas saved twice from Keko before the striker gave the Catalans the lead shortly before the break, and visiting keeper Morales tipped a Cuéllar penalty onto the bar and away in the second half. Ferrol were left with ten men after Méndez was sent off immediately afterwards for protesting, and their opponents should have added to their score on several occasions. However Razic struck to save a point, and Terrassa's Pier was given a red card in the last minute for protesting from the substitutes' bench.

Poli Ejido said they wanted to spend at last one night as a first division club, and they effectively did so after defeating Leganés 1-0 on Saturday evening to move up to third place pending Sunday's games. However three teams moved ahead of them the following day and they ended the weekend in sixth place, albeit only three points off the leaders. The Andalucians dominated the game and Sabino hit the bar in the first half before Luis Gil scored the only goal four minutes after the interval. Both sides ended with ten men after Urbano was sent off on the hour mark for a second yellow card and then Emery was shown a straight red in injury time.

Zaragoza recorded their second win in a row, beating Getafe 1-2 to consolidate their recovery. They did not have it easy though, and Craioveanu and Estévez both went close for the Madrid based side in the first half. Zaragoza's only reply was a shot from Yordi near the break. All three goals came in the last quarter of an hour of play, with Luis López putting the home side ahead with a shot from outside of the area. Vellisca made it all square a couple of minutes later though, and Juanele headed the winner two minutes from the end to take his side above Getafe up to eighth place.

An exciting 3-3 draw between Tenerife and Badajoz, with both teams ending the day in midtable level on eleven points. The visitors lead with a Leandro goal at the break and went further ahead in the second half when Nene got the last touch on Rodri's corner. Martí pulled one back though three minutes later and a Corona header from Jonathan's cross made it all square soon afterwards. Leandro missed a penalty after Edu Moya had brought down Rodri, but Badajoz were awarded another five minutes later for a foul on Ayoze which Nene scored from on the follow up after Valerio saved Cidoncha's kick. Tenerife saved a point in the last minute though, also from a penalty committed by Miguel Alfonso which Iván Ania converted.

Compostela climbed out of the relegation spots with their first win of the season, a 1-0 victory over Eibar. The only goal came in the first half when Maikel headed in a cross from Aguado. The two keepers, Tito for the home side and Riesgo for the visitors, made good saves, and there were no further goals after the break. The result comes at a good time for the Gallicians, with the owners in talks to sell the club in the near future.

The Asturian clubs Oviedo and Sporting are still stuck at the bottom of the table after both drew their games. Oviedo were in front for most of the game in their relegation battle against Almería after Oli headed the opener from an Idiakez free kick in the fourth minute. However Juanlu equalised midway through the second half to keep the South East coast team two points ahead of their opponents. Quique Marigil stepped down as Oviedo manager after the match, returning to the training staff, and technical secretary Vicente González Villamil will take over from him.

Sporting Gijon recorded their third 0-0 draw of the season, this time a dull game at Salamanca. Both clubs changed their managers in recent weeks, but neither Jorge D'Alessandro nor Antonio Maceda have made much difference as yet. Quique Martín had a couple of chances for the home side and Noguerol went close for the visitors before the break, and Salamanca keeper Stelea made two important saves from Manel and Ismael shortly after the restart, but otherwise there was nothing of note. The game was marred by crowd trouble, with Sporting fans rioting in the streets after the game. It's a wonder they stayed awake long enough.