Second Division A - Day 11

A late strike by Limones a quarter of an hour from the end of their lunchtime match at Leganés was enough to give Levante a 0-1 victory and take them back to the top of the second division. Enrique Martín returned as manager of the home side this week after Carlos Aguiar was sacked, and his side showed more promise throughout the match. However Villa missed an easy chance to put his side in front in the second half, and almost immediately Levante scored the winner to leave the Madrid based team down near the relegation spots.

Last week's leaders Xerez were held to a 1-1 draw by Tenerife in the other game played at mid-day and drop down to second, a point behind Levante. Calle gave Bernd Schuster's team the lead in the seventh minute on a counterattack, but the Canary Islanders came back with an equaliser from an Alexis free kick before the break. The home side were left with ten men for the last quarter of an hour after Moreno was sent off, but although substitute Lexa went close twice for the visitors near the end, Xerez held on to salvage a point.

Zaragoza continued their inevitable rise up the table, and they are now fifth after a 0-0 draw at Eibar. Paco Flores showed that he has already adapted to life in the second division, lining up with three central defenders to give up any thought of going for a fifth straight win in a row and grinding out a point against the scoreless draw specialists.

A late penalty gave bottom club Sporting Gijon their first win of the season against high-flying Murcia. The Asturians had plenty of chances to take the lead in the first half, and only a shot against the bar from Clavero after the break caused any problems for keeper Valencia. Clavero it was though who brought down Villa five minutes from the end, earning himself a second yellow card, and Villa placed his penalty kick wide of Reinke for the winner.

Sporting's neighbours Oviedo also recorded a rare victory, beating Badajoz 0-1 to move a little closer to safety. Either side could have scored in the first half, but the visitors went in front on the hour mark when young defender Raúl headed home a cross from Amieva. Badajoz's Jorge Zafra was sent off near the end.

Racing Ferrol beat Elche 1-2 to move back up to the top half of the table. Visiting keeper Bello Amigo kept his side in the game with some early saves, and Méndez put the Gallicians ahead before the half hour mark. Raúl Ivars made it all square before the break though and could have gone ahead if Serrano's strike had been allowed to stand. Cuéllar got the winner though in the second half, and the referee ruled out another goal by the home side's Meca at the end.

Las Palmas threw away a two goal lead and ended up drawing 2-2 with Almería, their fourth game in a row without a win. The Canary Islanders scored twice in a five minute period early on, Reggi heading home a long cross from Baiano and then adding a second following up after Angel's shot hit the post. However Juanlu headed one back a few minutes later, and Ortíz made it all square in the second half.

A 2-2 draw as well between Numancia and Compostela, with all four goals coming in the first half. Suffo gave the home side the lead from the penalty spot after Nuñez was brought down by keeper Tito, but strikes by Maikel and Adriano turned the score in favour of the visitors. Sergio Cruz forced the ball home before the break to level the scores and leave both teams on eleven points, only two above the drop zone.

Poli Ejido and Salamanca cancelled each other out in the weekend's seventh draw. David Prats opened the scoring for the home side, picking up a cross from Luis Gil to beat Stelea, but Roberto Fresnedoso made it 1-1 two minutes later, heading home a corner. Vucko hit the post for the visitors later on in the half. (17.11.02)

Only two games on Saturday in the second division, one of which was at Albacete where the local side moved to the top of the table despite being held to a 0-0 draw by Córdoba. Visiting keeper Jauregui saved well from Perera early on, and Eloy hit the bar for the visitors a few minutes later. Otherwise though there was little action, and the Andalucians took a much needed point back home with them.

Terrassa kept on to their unbeaten record, although they were disappointed to be held to a 1-1 draw with Getafe. Héctor had given them the lead in the first half, taking a return pass from Keko to score, but the defender failed to cut out a cross later in the half allowing Juan Carlos to equalise. The Catalans are still one point behind the leaders pending Sunday's games. (16.11.02)