Second Division A - Day 38

Zaragoza lost the chance to make sure of promotion when they were held to a 1-1 draw by Sporting Gijon on Saturday evening. Espadas gave them the lead in the second minute heading home Cani's cross on the far post, and Galletti should have put them further ahead before the break had Juanjo not kept him out. But the intense heat wore them down, and an excellent individualist goal from Villa made it all square midway through the second half. Paco Flores's side move level on points with leaders Murcia pending their game on Sunday.

Albacete failed to take advantage of Zaragoza's slip though after they drew 0-0 at Oviedo, and they stay three points behind their rivals. The result was bad news for the Asturians, who needed a win to try and get out of the relegation spots. The visitors appeared to have settled for third place though, enough at least to take them back to the top flight next season, and César Ferrando's side sat back to defend throughout. they could have lost it though at the end, when Roa had to save from substitute Calvillo when he broke through.

Almería recorded an incredible 6-0 victory over Xerez to move away from the relegation spots. The visitors were still in with a remote chance of promotion, but they found themselves two down in five minutes as Bilic and then Otríz beat Mora. Ortíz added his own second before the break, and Francisco (twice) and Bilic scored three more in the last ten minutes to complete the rout.

Leganés helped themselves to a 0-3 win over neighbours Getafe to keep alive their hopes of staying up. The local side should have scored in the first half, Raúl saving from Craioveanu and Alberto and Edgar missing an easy chance. But Lambea headed the visitors ahead after Pindado punched out Lawal's free kick, and Lawal set up Calandria for a second goal ten minutes later. Lambea got himself sent off for a bad tackle, but Calandria scored again after Pindado failed to clear.

Bottom side Badajoz are in deeper trouble after they lost 0-1 to Las Palmas. The Extremadurian side dominated for much of the match but could not find the route to goal. The introduction of Rubén steadied the ship for the visitors though, and the under 21 international combined with Maceratesi in injury time to beat Baines and take the three points.

Murcia are the first team to ensure promotion to the first division after beating fourth placed Levante 1-0 on Sunday lunchtime. It was a lively game, with the visitors needing a win to keep up their hopes of promotion, and although there were no oglas in the first half there were several chances. Local keeper Reinke saved from Félix and Congo, and Mijatovic hit the post directly from a corner. Karanka had hit the bar at the other end though, and two minutes after the restart Acciari headed home Ismael's cross for the only goal of the game. David Vidal's side could have gone further ahead when Aizpurúa saved an Isach penalty, and Lasa failed to score with the goal at his mercy on the rebound. But it was not necessary, and Murcia return to the first division for the first time in fourteen years.

The fight to avoid relegation is wide open after Sunday evening's results. Elche left Eibar in the bottom four after beating them 0-1, their first away win in five months or so. Caretaker manager Casimiro Torres changed tactics and players after taking over when Julián Rubio was sacked midweek, and he saw his side go ahead against the run of play when Luque beat Riesgo with a free kick. Armentano could have made it two before the break, but otherwise the Basques did all the attacking. Kortina, Lediakhov, Romo and Jorge Sánchez all went close, but Aizkorreta stood firm to take his side away from the danger zone for the time being.

Racing Ferrol sink deeper into the drop zone though after they were held 1-1 by Salamanca. The Gallicians took the lead in the sixth minute with a Méndez penalty after Gañán brought down David Pérez, and visiting keeper Stelea had to be at his best to save from Uche and Dutil either side of half time. When Lupidio was sent for d'Alessandro's side after picking up a second yellow early in the second half it appeared to be all over, but Roberto Frenodoso headed against the post and a few minutes later Noguerol rose to head a corner past Bello Amigo to save a point.

Córdoba are also back in the relegation battle after losing 2-0 at Tenerife, and they ended the weekend only a point above the drop zone. The Canary Islanders scored a goal either side of half time to sentence the match, Paunovic volleying home Barata's cross shortly before the break and Quique Torres latching on to Antonio Hidalgo's through ball three minutes after the restart. Barata hit the bar later on, but Tenerife were already home and dry and are now sure of another year in the "división de plata".

Terrassa are only one point above Córdoba in the table despite scraping a late 1-1 draw with Numancia. For the first time this season there was a 10,500 capacity crowd at the Olympic stadium, but they saw their side fall behind midway through the first half when Aranda beat Morales with the visitors' first shot at goal. The goalscorer got himself sent off though ten minutes later for head-butting an opponent, and the Catalans laid siege on the Numancia goal. It was only in the last minute of normal time that they equalised though, Babangida finally being awarded the goal in a desperate scramble. Visiting keeper Luis García was sent off though for deliberately crashing in to the player who was trying to take the ball back to the centre circle leaving his side with nine men, and with all three substitutions made Marini had to play the seven minutes of time added on in the goalkeeper's jersey.

Compostela and Poli Ejido took a point each from a lively 2-2 draw to move closer to safety. Fabiano opened the scoring from the penalty spot after Traversa held back Maikel, but Tevenet made it all square after Mazzoni headed the ball into his path. Maikel put the Gallicians back in front before the interval from Pignol's cross, but again the visitors came back and Prats equalised for a second time five minutes from the end.