First Division - Day 13

Atlético Madrid 2 - Málaga 0

Atlético: Burgos; Gaspar, Lequi, Simeone, Sergi; Novo, De los Santos (Santi 82'), Ibagaza, Musampa (Nano 46'); Fernando Torres (Jorge 76'), Nikolaidis. 4-4-2.
Málaga: Calatayud; Josemi (Gerardo 74'), Fernando Sanz, Litos, Valcarce; Miguel Angel (Leko 62'), Romero; Manu (Insúa 62'), Edgar, Duda; Salva. 4-2-3-1.

Team changes: Atlético: Sergi, De los Santos, Ibagaza for Santi, Ortíz, Jorge / Málaga: Manu for Gerardo.

1-0. 06. De los Santos. Took advantage of bad clearance to volley low into net.
2-0. 71. Nikolaidis. Hit shot on the turn past Calatayud from Ibagaza free kick.

Atlético Madrid move up to fourth place in the table after beating Málaga 2-0, setting up a fascinating derby with Real Madrid midweek. It was not as comfortable victory as the scoreline suggest however, and the visitors were on top for much of the ninety minutes.

Gregorio Manzano drafted Ibagaza back into the side after the defeat at Valladolid ended their run of five wins in a row, and in the end it was the Argentine midfielder who made the difference between the two sides. It was from one of his dead ball kicks that the first goal came, the defence only half clearing and De los Santos taking advantage to volley home from the edge of the area.

After that though the locals were pegged back, Burgos making a spectacular fisted save from Duda's free kick and Musampa heading another effort over the bar. Just before the break the visitors thought they had scored when Romero threw himself forward on to Duda's free kick to deflect it into the net, but the referee spotted the "hand of god" from the Uruguayan midfielder.

The Andalucians kept up the pressure after the break, and Miguel Angel headed over when it would have been easier to score. But the home side went further in front when Ibagaza found Nikolaidis with another free kick for him to swivel round and steer his shot past Calatayud. Málaga didn't give up though, and Valcarce hit the bar on another attack. But when Burgos stopped a last minute effort from substitute Insúa with his head at point blank range it was all over.