First Division - Day 16

Málaga 3 - Mallorca 1

Málaga: Calatayud; Josemi, Fernando Sanz, Litos (Lekos 68'), Valcarce; Miguel Angel, Romero; Edgar, Insúa (Canabal 57'), Duda (Rojas 80'); Salva. 4-2-3-1.
Mallorca: Leo Franco; David Cortés, Fernando Niño, Lussenhoff, Poli; Colsa, Marcos; Campano (Raúl Martín 17'), Correa (Bruggink 75'), Nené (Stankovic 65'); Eto'o. 4-2-3-1.

Team changes: Málaga: Fernando Sanz, Litos for Juanito, Gerardo / Mallorca: Campano for Bruggink.

1-0. 11. Fernando Sanz. Header on far post after Salva nodded on corner.
1-1. 30. Eto'o. Beat keeper to Raúl Martín cross to shoot low into net.
2-1. 71. Duda. Connected with Canabal cross to shoot wide of keeper.
3-1. 91. Salva (penalty). After Fernando Niño brought down Salva himself in area.

Málaga ended Mallorca's five match winning run, beating them 3-1 in the Rosaleda stadium. Fernando Sanz headed the home side ahead early on after Salva nodded on Duda's corner, but after that they handed over the initiative to their opponents. Eto'o levelled the scores on the half hour mark when he got ahead of Calatayud to touch in a cross from youngster Raúl Martín, who had replaced the injured Campano a few minutes before.

That was the only time that the Camerooni striker got the better of the keeper though, and ten minutes in to the second half the turning point in the match came when Calatayud saved an Eto'o penalty after Fernando Sanz had brought down Correa. And five minutes later the keeper was there again to close down the striker when he got free in front of goal.

Let off the hook, Málaga restored the lead when Duda got on the end of Canabal's cross to beat Leo Franco. And Salva made it three in injury time from the penalty spot after he himself was fouled by Fernando Niño, his ninth of the season in the league. The Andalucians ended the weekend in a comfortable eighth place, level on points with their opponents.

PS. The anecdote of the game came in the second half with Málaga leading 2-1, when referee Moreno Delgado ordered the ball boys out of the ground for wasting time. The local delegate was so surprised that he didn't carry out the referee's instructions correctly, and he too was shown a red card.