First Division - Day 17

Osasuna 0 - Zaragoza 1

Osasuna: Sanzol; Izquierdo (Palacios 88'), Cruchaga, Josetxo, Antonio López; Valdo, Puñal (Rivero 68'), Pablo García, Moha; Bakayoko, Aloisi (Muñoz 52'). 4-4-2.
Zaragoza: Lainez; Rebosio (Cuartero 80'), Milito, Alvaro, David Pirri; Ponzio, Generelo; Galletti (Iñaki 73'), Soriano, Savio; David Villa (Iban Espadas 85'). 4-2-3-1.

Team changes: Osasuna: No change / Zaragoza: Lainez, Rebosio, Generelo for Valbuena, Cuartero, Cani.

0-1. 35. David Villa (penalty). After Moha stopped Alvaro's header with his hands.

Osasuna held on to fourth place despite a 0-1 defeat at the hands of Zaragoza after the teams immediately behind them Atlético Madrid and Athletic Bilbao both failed to win. The turning point of the match came ten minutes before half time following Savio's corner, when Moha stopped Alvaro's header on the line with his arm. The midfielder was shown the red card, and David Villa scored from the resulting penalty.

Up to that point there had only been a half chance for each side, with the visitors looking to defend and score on the counter-attack. The home side came further out looking for the equaliser after the goal though despite their numerical inferiority, and before the half time whistle Lainez had to tip a Josetxo header on to the bar to keep his side ahead.

Local manager Javier Aguirre was forced to take off one of his strikers Aloisi after the break though to shore up a midfield which his side were gradually losing control of, and after that they hardly made any inroads against a well ordered defence, ably marshalled by Milito. Zaragoza could have increased the lead with an effort from Villa which went just wide later on, although in the end it was not necessary as they went home with a vital three points which probably saved the head of manager Paco Flores.

The Navarrans ended the game with nine men after Cruchaga was sent off for a second bookable offence, sparking off crowd trouble from supporters who were already upset about the corner leading up to the goal, and also the fact that their side were not awarded the three points by the disciplinary committee after Racing Santander fielded four non-EU players against them earlier in the month. The referee and visiting players were not allowed to leave the ground until an hour after the match ended as a precaution.