First Division - Day 32

Málaga 3 - Atlético Madrid 1

Málaga: Calatayud; Gerardo (Duda 87'), Josemi (Fernando Sanz 83'), Litos, Valcarce; Edgar (Romero 75'), Miguel Angel, Leko; Insúa; Salva, Diego Alonso. 4-4-2.
Atlético: Sergio Aragoneses; Gaspar, García Calvo, Lequi, Santi; De los Santos; Aguilera (Novo 70'), Paunovic, Ibagaza (Jorge 88'), Nano (Musampa 69'); Fernando Torres. 4-1-4-1.

Team changes: Málaga: Insúa, Diego Alonso for Manu, Duda / Atlético: Santi for Sergi.

1-0. 31. Leko. Picked up Alonso headed pass and beat Calvo before scoring.
2-0. 44. Diego Alonso. Shot low past keeper after Edgar headed on corner.
2-1. 45. Nano. Turned ball in on far post from long, high cross by Aguilera.
3-1. 50. Diego Alonso. Struck loose ball into net after good run by Insúa.

Málaga moved up to sixth in the table pending Sunday's matches with a 3-1 win over Atlético Madrid. Juande Ramos drafted Diego Alonso into an attacking line up, and the Uruguayan striker made the difference, setting up Leko to score the first goal on the half hour mark and getting two himself either side of half time.

The game got off to a lively start, with Alonso heading against the bar and Fernando Torres replying with a shot against the foot of the post. Málaga took the lead though on the half hour mark when Alonso headed Salva's cross down into the path of Leko for him to control the ball and beat Aragoneses.

With the first half coming to an end Alonso got his first of the night, stroking the ball past the keeper after Edgar headed on a corner. But with the locals still celebrating, Atlético went up the other end and Nano turned Aguilera's cross past Calatayud to silence the crowd at the break.

It only took a few minutes however before the two goal lead was restored, Insúa losing the ball after a good run but doing enough for it fall into the path of Diego Alonso for him to get his second of the night. The visitors didn't give up though, and Fernando Torres felt himself unlucky not to be given a penalty by referee González Vázquez and then was pulled up by a linesman for a non-existent offside when free on goal.

The young striker was sent off though ten minutes from the end when jumping for a high ball with Josemi, his flying elbow catching the defender in the face. Torres was injured himself in the play, and González showed him the red card as he was being carried off on a stretcher.

Salva could have increased the lead for the home side in the dying minutes, but was unable to beat Aragoneses. His side had got their result though, and move to within two points of their opponents, now are serious contenders for a place in Europe. Atleti go home to lick their wounds and prepare for next weekend's derby game with Real Madrid. The loss of Fernando Torres for that match may be a big blow.