Second Division A - Day 4

Rayo Vallecano beat managerless Terrassa 1-2 on Saturday evening, their second win in a row, despite playing over half the match with ten men after Peragón was sent off for a second bookable offence five minutes before the break. Marqués opened the scoring just before half time after Helder set him up, and Bolo got the second with a low free kick under the defensive wall ten minutes after the restart. Juan Carlos pulled one back for the Catalans from the penalty spot late on after Palacios handled in the area, but it was not enough and they stay at the bottom of the table.

Last week's second placed side Almería kept up their unbeaten record with a 0-0 draw at Algeciras. The locals took the initiative at the start, with Armentano and Tevenet both testing Cano. But after that referee Ayza Gámez stole the show, sending off Monteagudo for the hosts and Juan Jesús for the visitors in the first half and showing no less than 14 yellow cards and two reds throughout the match.

Two goals in three minutes from on-loan striker Gorka Brit gave Eibar a 1-2 win at Salamanca. The Osasuna based player beat Stelea twice late in the first half against the run of play, and after that the Basques put the game to sleep. Half time substitute Zé Tó got a goal back for the hosts with a shot from outside of the area near the end, but it was not enough to prevent Salamanca's first defeat of the season. (20.09.03)

Leaders Cádiz lost 3-2 to Getafe on Sunday lunchtime, but still hold on to top spot after the chasing pack failed to take advantage. The home side went ahead midway through the first half when Michel (who was known as "Michel II" when at Rayo) headed in Miguel Angel's corner, but Jonathan Sesma quickly volleyed home the equaliser. Michel re-established the lead with his fourth of the season in the second half and Craioveanu, who made that goal, added a third soon afterwards. Paz scored a late second for the visitors, but the three points went to the Madrid based side who move up to third in the table.

Tenerife dropped out of the top three after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Córdoba in their Sunday midday game. Playing on a pitch in bad condition, the locals took the lead through Pablo Sierra with a quarter of an hour gone. But just when it looked as if the Andalucians would go further ahead, Jesús Vázquez beat Jauregui with an angled shot to level the scores. Nico Olivera and Pulpo González both had chances to put Córdoba back in front after the break but failed to beat a solid Alvaro Iglesias.

The second division looks like being another tight battle, with only three points separating the top ten teams after Sunday night's games ended. Levante moved up to second in the table after a convincing 4-0 win over Numancia. The Valencia based side went in front midway through the first half when Alexis headed home Jofre's corner, and Aganzo should have made it two later in the half. However keeper Mora had to be at his best to stop the visitors from equalizing before Aganzo made it two in the second half. Tito and Ettien both scored in the last five minutes though to finish things off.

A late goal by youngster Kiko gave Alavés a 1-0 win over Málaga B, taking the Vitoria based side into the top half of the table. It was not a great performance by them though, and only vital saves by Gaspercic from Robi and Geijo kept the scoreline unmoved. A minute after the Belgian keeper saved from the latter, Ibon Begoña crossed in for Kiko to head the winner past Lara. Málaga B stay next to bottom with only a point to their name from the first four games.

Ciudad de Murcia recorded their first victory in the second division A with a 2-3 win at Las Palmas. Juanma Lillo's side raced into a three goal lead within the first half an hour or so of the game, Falcón getting the first as early as the third minute following a corner. Camuñas made it two midway through the first half and then set up Turu Flores for a third against his old side, the ex Deportivo and Mallorca veteran not celebrating the goal out of respect. Bogliacino got a goal back a minute later though, and another ex Deportivo player Changui reduced the gap to one goal after the break.

Elche also got their first win of the season, defeating Poli Ejido 1-2 in the Santa Domingo stadium. The East coast side took the lead when Nino chipped keeper Kike in the tenth minute, but were pegged back after that for the rest of the first half. De Nigris hit the post for the home side, but Nino set up Moisés to score a second for Elche against the run of play on the hour mark. Sierra finally gave the home fans some hope when he took advantage of a hesitation by Dani Mallo to score, but Elche held on to send their opponents down into the bottom four.

Recreativo Huelva and Sporting Gijon shared the points in a 1-1 draw, although the visitors deserved to have won the match. The Asturian side did most of the attacking in the first half, and should have gone ahead when they were awarded a penalty on the half hour mark after Iker Begoña brought down Bilic. However the Serbian striker shot straight at Luque, and just before half time Sastre headed past his own keeper to put the Andalucians ahead. Justice was done in the end though when Pablo Alvarez equalised five minutes before the final whistle.

Draw specialists Xerez and Leganés had to be content once again with a point apiece after another 1-1 result. Both sides had drawn all three of their opening games, and were looking for a win to move them up the table. The visitors, once again packed with players from Argentina, tested keeper Unanua a couple of times in the first half, and Turdó finally headed them in front after the interval. But a confusing penalty incident when Pietrovallo and Cañizares clashed gave the home side the chance to draw level, and Mena tucked the ball away to keep up the record for both teams. (21.09.03)