Second Division A - Day 10

Rayo Vallecano lost 0-1 to Eibar on Saturday night, a fourth home defeat which leaves the Madrid based side further down in the relegation zone. Manager Julen Lopetegui made many changes to his side in an effort to change their fortunes, and it appeared to work when Geni netted on the half hour mark. However the referee disallowed the goal, and midway through the second half Saizar scored for the visitors to sink them further. Six minutes from the end the Basques were left with ten men after Lambea was sent off, but they held off the final assault to take the three points and move up to fourth. Immediately after the match Lopetegui was fired, and the club are hoping to appoint a new manager this week.

Recreativo meanwhile moved further up the table with a 1-0 win over Andalucian neighbours Cádiz. The visitors were on top in the first half and came closest to scoring when Luque had to save from Raúl López just before the interval. But half time substitute Galán headed home Viqueira's free kick for what was to prove the only goal of the game midway through the second half, and although Oli headed against the bar later on, Cádiz fell to their second defeat in a row.

Tenerife visited bottom club Terrassa and shared the points for the seventh time this season in a match which finished 1-1. Keko was returning to his old club, and he hit the bar for the Canary Islanders early on. But the home side went one better when they struck the bar twice through Ismael and Gibanel after the break. The Catalans were left with ten men after substitute Juan Carlos got sent off, and almost immediately Jesús Vázquez put the visitors in front. But numbers were evened up when Martín Posse was sent off in a brawl, and Jordi Navas headed the equaliser soon afterwards. And Tenerife ended with nine men after Corona also got his marching orders in the last minute.

Tenerife's neighbours Las Palmas also drew 1-1 in their match at home to Getafe. The visitors were the better side in the first half and took the lead when Vivar Dorado beat Orland Quintana with a strong shot. But Miguel Angel let the Canary Islanders off the hook twice in the second half, and they ended up paying the price when the second division's top scorer Rúben Castro headed his ninth of the season from a short pass by Nico Frutos. And Frutos came close to winning it for the locals when his late effort was cleared off the line by a defender. (01.11.03)

Numancia held on to top spot after a 0-2 win at Leganés on Sunday lunchtime. The locals had not won at home all season, and although Calandria and Pablo Rodríguez went close in the first half, they found themselves behind when Kome took advantage of a defensive mix up to score soon after the restart. Fagiani almost made it two with a shot against the bar later in the half, and with the game coming to an end and the home side throwing everything forward, Kome wrapped things up with a second goal. Leganés ended with ten men after Velasco got a second booking, and they ended the weekend floundering in the lower reaches of the table. (02.11.03)

Almería kept up their undefeated record with a 0-1 victory at Xerez on Sunday evening, a result which cost the job of local manager Carlos Orúe. It was not really a fair result though, with the home side constantly bearing down on their opponents and visiting keeper Cano making a string of first class saves, particularly from Mena and Deus before the break and Cachorro and Mena in the second half. Francisco got the only goal of the match midway through the first half, picking up a long ball and rounding Unanúa to score with a home side player lying injured on the ground.

Third placed Levante also won, beating bottom club Málaga B 1-0 to keep up the pressure on the top two. It was not one of their better displays though, and neither side really tested the opposing keeper until four minutes into the second half, when Pinillos got away down his wing and crossed in for Aganzo to set up a goal for Angel Cuéllar. Aganzo and Jofre both wasted opportunities to extend the lead, and in the end they were let off when a shot from Iván Hernández hit the bar.

Alavés lost ground on the top three, and they dropped to sixth after losing 3-1 at Salamanca. The locals took the lead midway through the first half when Raúl Sánchez latched on to a short Gañan free kick to beat Gaspercic, and although Astudillo levelled the scores heading home a corner. David Cano got on the end of another free kick from Lupidio to head his side back in front before the break. Zé Tó added a third in the second half, and they held on for their first victory in two months despite playing the last quarter of an hour with ten men after Noguerol was sent off.

Another of the promotion favourites Elche were held to a 2-2 draw by Ciudad de Murcia, who are proving to be one of the revelation sides this season. The visitors surprisingly took the lead in the third minute when Aguilar got on the end of a cross from Robles, and the same player missed the easiest chance of the game minutes later. By half time the locals were in front though, Juan Carlos making it all square from the penalty spot and García Granero picking up a pass from Toro Acuña to make it two. Before the crowd had time to take their seats Güiza had equalised though, and although they lost Robles to a red card later in the half, Ciudad battened down the hatches to take a valuable point.

Poli Ejido and Sporting Gijon drew 0-0 in a match in which only the local side had any attempt at goal. David Prats hit the post and visiting keeper Roberto saved from Sabino and Sierra either side of half time, but otherwise the Asturians had no trouble holding off their opponents to maintain seventh spot in the table.

Managerless Córdoba moved out of the relegation zone with their first win of the season, 2-0 against Andalucian rivals Algeciras, who replace them in the bottom four. Miguel Angel Portugal took over as caretaker from Castro Santos, who was fired midweek, and saw his side take the lead on the hour mark when Pulpo González got on the end of Nico Olivera's free kick to score. Olivera got the second himself a quarter of an hour later to give the home fans some cheer at last. (02.11.03)