First Division - Day 29

Osasuna 3 - Villarreal 2

Match was originally postponed due to Villarreal's participation in the UEFA Cup and was eventually played on Thursday, 28th April.

Osasuna: Elía; Expósito, Cruchaga, Josetxo, Corrales; Delporte, Pablo García, Puñal, Moha (Ortíz 67'); Morales (Aloisi 80'), Webó (Milosevic 80'). 4-4-2.
Villarreal: Reina; Javi Venta, Gonzalo Rodríguez, Peña, Arruabarrena; Cazorla (Héctor Font 69'), Marcos Senna, Riquelme, Sorín; José Marí (Figueroa 60'), Diego Forlán (Calleja 89'). 4-4-2.

Team changes: Osasuna: Elía, Cruchaga, Josetxo, Pablo García, Morales, Webó for Sanzol, Cuéllar, Flaño, David López, Aloisi, Milosevic / Villarreal: Javi Venta, Peña, Cazorla for Armando Sá, Quique Alvarez, Josico.

0-1. 07. Senna. Took Forlán pass and struck long shot which bounced past Elía.
1-1. 40. Webó. Latched on to Delporte cross from right to turn defender and score.
2-1. 67. Ortíz. Following up after Reina could only push out shot from Webó.
2-2. 73. Sorín. Got on end of long Javi Venta free kick to poke ball over keeper.
3-2. 89. Aloisi. Connected with Ortíz cross to shoot low across keeper.

A last minute goal from substitute John Aloisi gave Osasuna their fifth win in a row in all competitions and ensured first division football at the Sadar stadium next season. The match had been postponed from four weeks ago when Villarreal were obliged to play a rescheduled UEFA cup match, and Pellegrini's side came in to the game needing a point to move back up to the Champions' League spots.

Morales and Webó tested Reina early on, but the locals were struck a blow when Marcos Senna caught out Elía with a long shot in the seventh minute, the keeper misjudging the bounce and allowing the ball into his net. But Morales went close before Webó equalised shortly before half time with a well taken goal, turning quickly on Delporte's cross to leave his marker behind and score.

Forlán could have put the visitors back in front before the interval when he headed José Marí's cross against the bar, but it was the home side who scored next, Ortíz drilling the ball home after Reina could only push out a shot from Webó midway through the second half.

Villarreal levelled the scores again when Sorín got on the end of a Javi Venta free kick to poke the ball past Elía, and Aguirre decided to change his two strikers for the last ten minutes. It couldn't have worked out better, Milosevic hitting the woodwork before Aloisi connected with a cross behind the defence from Ortíz to give his side the three points.