First Division - Day 38

Mallorca 1 - Betis 1

Mallorca: Moya; David Cortés, Iuliano, Ballesteros, Poli; Farinos (Correa 83'), Pereyra; Campano, Víctor (Tuni 72'), Arango; Okubo (Luis García 79'). 4-2-3-1.
Betis: Prats; Melli, Juanito, Rivas, Luis Fernández; Arzu (Benjamín 77'), Marcos Assunçao; Joaquín (Lembo 93'), Edu, Fernando (Varela 73'); Oliveira. 4-2-3-1.

Team changes: Mallorca: No change / Betis: Edu for Denilson.

0-1. 52. Marcos Assunçao. Bent free kick over wall and in to top corner of net.
1-1. 88. Pereyra. Header down into bottom corner of net from Poli's cross.

There were scenes of celebration from both camps in Mallorca after the home side drew 1-1 with Betis, a result which meant the Islanders stay in the first division and their visitors qualify for the Champions League for the first time ever. It was a difficult night for Betis coach Serra Ferrer, who was born in Mallorca and coached the side some time ago, although in the end the result meant that nobody left disappointed.

The radios in the San Moix stadium were tuned to the match between Villarreal and Levante though, and when the fans heard that their rivals had scored a hush fell on the ground. Iuliano was lucky to be let off a penalty when the ball hit him on the arm, and at the other end Okubo fired a shot just wide of the target. But otherwise there was little action, and it was not until Villarreal scored twice in the Madrigal stadium that the crowd started to light up.

Their joy soon turned to worry though when Marcos Assunçao curled a trademark free kick past Moyà early in the second half, and a goal from Levante would have meant they were down. Cúper threw everyone forward, and Farinós rattled the crossbar with a long shot, but Oliveira and Rivas went close to increasing the lead at the other end.

With a couple of minutes to go though there was a collective sigh of relief when Pereyra headed home the equaliser from Poli's cross, and almost immediately Forlán finished off Levante with a third goal. Héctor Cúper's side were staying up, Betis were in the "Champions", and celebrations went on long into the night.