Second Division A - Day 2

Valladolid moved to the top of the table after beating Tenerife 2-1, their second win in a row. Once again the man who did the damage was Aduriz, who scored a hat-trick in the first match, and he opened the scoring from the penalty spot midway through the first half after Corona handled Sousa's cross. The visitors came close to scoring when Keko headed Gavilán's centre against the bar, but otherwise Sergio Kresic's side were on top, and Hornos wasted three clear-cut chances after the break. Aduriz got a second though after substitutes Xavi Moré and Víctor combined to set him up, and Corona's goal following a corner came too late to change the result.

Celta joined Valladolid on six points after a 1-0 victory over Gimnastic Tarragona on a rain-swept night in Vigo. The locals had the better of the opening minutes, with Gustavo López and Canobbio both having efforts blocked by the defence, but the heavy rain made conditions almost unplayable as the first half wore on. Nàstic were left with ten men when Alfonso Vera picked up a second booking soon after the restart, but the Catalans held their own and seemed to be on their way to a valuable point until new signing Nagore beat Felip with a low free kick only a couple of minutes after coming on to make his debut.

Elche got their first points on the board with a 3-1 win over Ciudad Murcia in the other match brought forward to Saturday evening. Peragón started things off for the locals, connecting with Luis Gil's cross to beat Miki in the tenth minute, but Güiza beat the offside trap to score an equaliser a few minutes later and the visitors could have gone ahead when Aguilar hit the bar with a free kick before the break. Both sides had a man sent off either side of the interval, Bernaus for the hosts and Raúl Pérez for Murcia, but Txiki set up Moisés to put Elche ahead and Nino finished things off before Ciudad's Toni González became the third player to get his marching orders near the end. (04.09.04)

The score-less draws came back with a vengeance in the second division, with no less than four of Sunday's eight games ending without goals. Terrassa's 0-0 draw at Poli Ejido kept them in third place in the table, two points behind the leaders and level on points with their opponents. The Catalans will be thankful for the point though after playing for 80 minutes with ten men after veteran forward Juanele was sent off for a second bookable offence. The locals dominated after that, but apart from a couple of posts from Víctor Salas and Pedro Vega near the end they were unable to find the target, and Poli keeper Kike had to make a couple of important saves from Héctor and Gallego to hold on to the result.

Last season Recreativo Huelva were the draw specialists, at one point being the side in Europe with most tied matches, and they started where they left off, drawing their first home game 0-0 with Alavés. Calle had their best chance in the first half, but keeper Toño had to save efforts from Rubén Navarro either side of half time to save a point.

Eibar are in fourth spot after they held Málaga B to a goal-less draw. The Basque side had the better of the opening moments, with Suárez and Mateo testing Goitia and Corredoira hitting the post. But the locals controlled the match after that, and Paco Esteban brought a couple of good saves out of visiting keeper Iraizoz later on.

Córdoba were inaugurating their new stand, but the fans had little to shout about as they too drew 0-0 against newly promoted Pontevedra. The first shot at goal didn't come until midway through the first half when local keeper Jauregui saved from Canabal, although Txiki and Juanmi could have given the Andalusians the victory in the end.

A last minute goal earned a first point of the season for Salamanca in a 1-1 draw Xerez. Felipe Miñambres's side dominated the match, with Aurelio hitting the woodwork with a free kick near to the break and Brit and José wasting chances after the restart. But Dani Pendín headed home Mena's cross soon afterwards, and Zé Tó had to save the day in the third minute of injury time.

Sporting Gijón, Almería and Lleida all recorded their first wins of the season, curiously all away from home. The results left Valladolid and Celta alone at the top of the table with six points from their first two games.

Sporting won 1-3 at Real Murcia, who found themselves down at the bottom of the league table without a point to their name at the end of the weekend. Calandria put the visitors head early on from Pablo Lago's pass, and although David Karanka went close at the other end a couple of times either side of half time, Sporting scored again when Dani Borreguero's free kick was deflected by Michel, keeper Olave failing to hold on to the ball and only succeeding in turning it into his own net. Carrera headed one back from Juanma's cross, but Pablo Alvaro wrapped things up for the Asturians soon afterwards.

Lleida got their first win after returning to the second division, beating Cádiz 0-2 in the Ramón de Carranza stadium. Stankovic gave an early warning with a shot which brushed the crossbar, and Sergio Ramos put the Catalans ahead a few minutes later, heading home a corner. Santos made it two shortly before the interval, and although Paz had a goal disallowed and then hit the post in the second half, the locals were unable to beat Edu. And to make matters worse, Pavoni was sent off in injury time.

Almería beat Racing Ferrol 0-1 to get their first points on the board, Isaac getting the only goal of the game early in the second half after taking a pass from Ortíz and running through to round keeper Bello Amigo. It was a deserved victory, with Iban Espadas in particular close to increasing the lead on a couple of occasions, and the locals hardly testing Valerio. (05.09.04)