Second Division A - Day 4

Lleida moved to the top of the table pending Sunday's games after beating Salamanca 0-1 on Saturday evening, their third win in a row. The only goal was scored by David Català who beat Tom with a shot from left of goal shortly before the break, but the ex Espanyol and Albacete defender got himself sent off ten minutes after the restart for a second bookable offence. The visitors were unable to take advantage though, and ended the day down in next to bottom spot in the table.

Meanwhile last week's leaders Terrassa dropped to second after a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Elche, who move up to fifth. The hosts dominated the first half, and took the lead with a Moisés penalty after the striker himself was brought down by Rodri. Juan Carlos could have equalised for Juan Manuel Lillo's side late on though, a first effort hitting the upright and a second strike bringing a good save out of Unanua.

There were victories on Saturday for both Almería based sides, with Poli Ejido beating the hitherto undefeated Eibar 4-1 to move just outside of the top three. It was the Basque side who took the lead though when Pedro Largo put through his own net in the first minute, but Pedro Vega scored twice in the first eight minutes of the second half to turn the scoreline around, and a Calado penalty and a first goal for new signing Vucko wrapped things up late on.

UD Almería followed in the footsteps of their neighbours with a 1-2 victory at Málaga B. The locals had the better of the first half, with Diego Castro shining against the team managed by his father, but the visitors took the lead after the restart after Isaac set up Luna. Usero headed an equaliser from Rubén's free kick, but Isaac struck the winner near the end just minutes after he had hit the woodwork.

There was one draw as well on Saturday evening, the game between Racing Ferrol and Sporting Gijón in the A Malata stadium ending 0-0. The Galicians were the better side, with Flavio Barros having a first half strike disallowed for offside and a late penalty appeal turned down, but they were unable to beat a steady Roberto in the visiting goal. (18.09.04)

Valladolid missed out on a chance to move back to the top of the table, their surprise 0-1 defeat at the hands of Pontevedra on Sunday leaving them out of the promotion spots. For the first time this season, leading scorer Aduriz was unable to convert his chances, and the visitors took the three points thanks to veteran striker Canabal, who turned Xaco's cross into the net on the hour mark.

With last week's three top teams all losing this weekend, three new sides take their places in the promotion spots. Xerez head the table after beating local rivals Córdoba 1-2, the result keeping Esteban Vigo's team down in the bottom four. Lekic put the visitors ahead in the fifth minute from Mena's cross, but Bilic should have levelled the score for the locals, the Croatian striker hitting the bar on the quarter hour mark and then having a penalty saved by Julio Iglesias before the break. Dani Pendín showed him how to do it when he converted a penalty in the first minute of the second half, and Armentano's headed goal later on was only worthy of comment as it was the first his side have scored this season.

Recreativo join Lleida in the top three after holding Celta to a 1-1 draw in the Balaidos stadium. The Huelva based side took the lead early on when Uche headed home a corner, but Canobbio equalised a few minutes later after Sava set him up. A great performance by visiting keeper Toño kept the Galician strikers at bay after the break, even though his side played the last twenty minutes with ten men after Mario Silva was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Without doubt though the result of the weekend was the 1-5 drubbing of Real Murcia by Alavés, leaving Manolo Preciado's side at the bottom of the table without a single point from their first four matches. Nené opened the floodgates for the visitors with an early goal after De Lucas headed on Edu Alonso's cross, but Richi equalised for the locals when he got on the end of Julio Alvarez's free kick in the tenth minute. Rubén Navarro scored twice for Dmitri Piterman's side before the break though, and completed his hat-trick with less than an hour on the clock. And with most of the locals fns already on their way home, Pape Thiaw completed the rout with a fifth goal near the end.

Elsewhere Tenerife moved up into the top half of the table with a 1-0 win over Ciudad Murcia. The Canary Island side took the lead on the quarter hour mark when Cristo Marrero latched on to a pass from Fagiani to score, and Gavilán and Marrero came close to extending the lead before the break. Falcón hit the bar at the other end in the second half, but Keko should have put the result beyond doubt when his last minute penalty kick was saved by Miki after Raúl Pérez was sent off for bringing the striker down in the area.

Finally Cádiz came from behind to beat Nàstic 2-1 and record their first home win of the season. All three goals came after the break, with Abel putting the visitors ahead six minutes after the restart. Fleurquín equlised though a few minutes later, and Manolo Pérez got the winner from the penalty spot a quarter of an hour before the final whistle.(19.09.04)