Second Division A - Day 28

Celta increased their lead at the top of the table to six points pending Sunday's matches after beating neighbours Racing Ferrol 1-2, their seventh win in a row. The home side were missing the suspended Bello Amigo, and with only a quarter of an hour gone his replacement Escalona had to be replaced by third choice keeper Queco Piña. Just a few minutes later Canobbio opened the scoring after heading in Gustavo López's cross, and Jandro could have made it two had Vosalho not blocked his shot. The locals were awarded a penalty though on the stroke of half time which top scorer Mario Bermejo converted after the ball hit Angel on the arm from point blank range, and they appeared to be on top when Berizzo got himself sent off for a second bookable offence a quarter of an hour from the end. But soon afterwards Angel got on the end of Jandro's corner to head home the winner and keep Fernando Vázquez's side on track for a quick return to the top flight.

Xerez lost ground on the leaders after they were defeated 1-0 at Tenerife, and they ended the day six points off the promotion spots. The Canary Islanders had the better chances in a lively first half, Tete saving well from a César Belli header. And the visiting keeper was in action again after the restart, stopping an effort from Antonio Hidalgo. Cachorro and Lekic tried their luck for the visitors after that, but Keko won it for the home side when he finally beat Tete after the defence failed to clear a cross from substitute Cristo Marrero, and Oscar Alvarez almost got another on the breakaway as the Andalusians threw everything forward. It was a first defeat for Xerez since Enrique Martín took over as coach two months ago.

Gimnastic Tarragona's four game unbeaten run also came to an end after they lost 1-0 at Poli Ejido, keeping them a point behind Xerez. The Catalans got off to a strong start, Serrano bringing a good save out of Kike and Pinilla sending a free kick over the bar. But the locals worked their way back in to the game, and after Víctor Salas and Toedtli both tested Felipe, Pedro Vega ran on to a Salas through ball to put his side in front just five minutes after the restart. Salas himself could have added to the lead a couple of times later on, but his side had done enough to take the three points and move safely up to mid-table. (12.03.05)

Eibar beat Valladolid 1-2 on Sunday lunchtime to move up to second place, just three points behind leaders Celta. The locals were favourites to win, and after Alvaro wasted an early chance, Jairo Castillo (who was making his first start for his new side) headed them in to the lead in the tenth minute. Only three minutes later though under 21 international David Silva levelled the scores on a rapid breakaway, and five minutes after the restart Llorente took advantage of a mistake by Marcos to put the visitors ahead. Sergio Kresic threw on all his strike force, but apart from a disallowed goal by Losada they were unable to break down a well disciplined defence, and the local fans booed off their players at the end. (13.03.05)

Cádiz were defeated 0-1 by Real Murcia on Sunday evening, leaving the Andalusians on the verge of dropping out of the promotion spots after only picked up three points from their last four games. Víctor Espárrago's side had a goal disallowed early on when Oli's header was ruled out for offside, but a few minutes later Abraham Paz had to clear an effort from Karanka off the line with Armando beaten. The locals had a great chance to take the lead immediately after the interval when Olave just kept out Paz's free kick and De Quintana and Oli both failed to find the net on the rebound. But with the game seemingly heading for a draw, Carrera finished off a rapid counterattack to take his side out of the relegation positions for the first time in 60 weeks, first and second division included. It was another blow for the locals, who have to visit leaders Celta next weekend.

Elche took advantage to move to within a point of Cádiz after beating Lleida 2-1, although they left it late to do so. The visitors had the better chances earlier in the game, Unanua having to save from Nakor a couple of times, and Crusat put them ahead after slack defending let him through midway through the second half. But the Catalans were left with ten men when Txema picked up a second booking, and Moisés headed the equaliser from close up three minutes from the end of normal time after Rangel could only push out Nino's shot. And with the game already in injury time, Moisés struck the winner from the penalty spot after Nino was brought down in the area.

Recreativo are up to fifth in the table with a 0-1 win at Málaga B. It was a dull game though, with the two keepers only intervening a couple of times in the first half, Goitia fisting away a dangerous corner from Recre's Benítez and Luque saving a long shot from Abel. The visitors went ahead though on the stroke of half time when Azkorra latched on to a loose ball to beat Goitia, and Uche and Moreno both had chances to increase the lead after the restart. It was a fourth away win in a row for the South coast side, and takes them to within two points of the top three. The hosts drop to within two points of the relegation zone having lost their third game in a row.

Alavés got back on winning ways after six defeats in a row, beating bottom club Pontevedra 1-3. Chuchi Cos's side were on top for much of the match, and took the lead midway through the first half when Rubén Navarro beat Moso with a shot from the edge of the area. Charles went close twice for the locals later in the first half, and they equalised soon after the restart when Javi Rodríguez converted a penalty after Corominas handled in the area. The lead only lasted three minutes though before Rubén Navarro cut in to score his second of the night, and Nené took advantage of a slip by the defence to wrap things up on the hour mark.

Salamanca's new coach Andoni Goikoetxea got off to a good start, his side's 2-1 win over Sporting Gijón moving them away from the relegation zone. The home side went in front with just under half an hour on the clock when Robert picked up a pass from Lupidio, and after that they sat back to defend their lead. Urged on by 3,000 travelling fans the visitors got back in the game when Pablo Alvarez headed home a corner twenty minutes in to the second half, but Zé Tó got the winner near the end after the defence failed to clear a corner kick. Juan could have saved a point for the Asturians though when he hit the bar from a free kick in the closing minutes.

A defeat would have left Salamanca in the bottom four after Ciudad Murcia beat Terrassa 2-0, a result which curiously takes Ciudad out of the drop zone on the same day their city rivals Real Murcia did so as well. Visiting coach Juanma Lillo was returning to his old club, but he saw his side fall behind in only the fourth minute when Güiza beat Morales with a shot from the edge of the area. And ten minutes later the striker picked up his fifteenth of the season when he headed home Luque's cross. The Catalans tested debutant keeper José Juan with a couple of free kicks from Quique Martín and Héctor in the second half, but otherwise they could not break down a well ordered defence and drop into the bottom four as a result.

Almería also drop into the relegation zone after they were beaten 3-0 by a Córdoba side who have still not given up hope of salvation. The first shot at goal didn't come until a minute before the break when Marchiori tested Ricardo, but Villa opened the scoring with a long shot on the hour mark and Ruano added a second just a few minutes later. Anderson wrapped things up following a corner near the end to extend the Andalusians' unbeaten run to six games. Almería themselves have only picked up two points from their last eight matches. (13.03.05)