First Division - Day 4

Real Sociedad 3 - Atlético Madrid 2

Real Sociedad: Riesgo; Cifuentes, Labaka, Mikel González, Garrido; Mikel Alonso, Aranburu; Novo, Nihat (Larrea 94'), Xabi Prieto (Uranga 75'); Kovacevic. 4-2-3-1.
Atlético: Leo Franco; Velasco, García Calvo, Zahinos, Antonio López; Maxi (Valera 60'), Gabi (Colsa 69'), Luccin, Petrov; Kezman, Fernando Torres. 4-4-2.

Team changes: Real: Cifuentes, Garrido, Novo, Nihat for López Rekarte, Garitano, Uranga, Barkero / Atlético: García Calvo, Zahinos for Perea, Pablo.

0-1. 09. Fernando Torres. Collected Petrov cross and fired shot past Riesgo.
0-2. 18. Kezman. Picked up Torres pass and ran on to shoot into roof of net.
1-2. 55. Kovacevic. Controlled pass and rounded keeper to score.
2-2. 80. Nihat. Headed Novo's strong cross wide of keeper from edge of area.
3-2. 91. Kovacevic. Shot from close range after first header blocked.

Probably the most exciting tie of the midweek round of matches was Real Sociedad's 3-2 victory over Atlético Madrid. The Basque side were two down with less than twenty minutes on the clock, Fernando Torres opening the scoring from Petrov's cross and then setting up Kezman for him to run on and beat Riesgo. And it could have been worse had Torres and Petrov not failed to put away chances either side of half time.

Ten minutes in to the second half though Kovacevic found space to round Leo Franco and score, and he almost got a second when the keeper got a hand to another effort. But Real were back in the match, and Nihat (starting his first match since returning from injury) levelled the scores with a long header into the far corner of the net from Novo's cross with ten minutes remaining.

Then with the game already in injury time, Kovacevic connected with a cross from the left, and when a defender blocked his first effort he latched on to the rebound to drive a shot low past Franco. The game finished a couple of minutes later, the result taking the San Sebastian side above their opponents and in to the top half of the table.