First Division - Day 31

Atlético Madrid 0 - Celta 3

Atlético: Leo Franco; Velasco, Pablo, Perea, Antonio López; Galletti (Marqués 79'), Luccin, Gabi Petrov; Kezman, Fernando Torres. 4-4-2.
Celta: Pinto; Angel, Contreras, Lequi, Placente; Oubiña, Iriney; Antonio Nuñez (De Ridder 69'), Canobbio (Jonathan Aspas 58'), David Silva (Méndez 88'); Baiano. 4-2-3-1.

Team changes: Atlético: Perea, Luccin, Gabi for García Calvo, Colsa, Ibagaza / Celta: Placente, Iriney, Antonio Nuñez for José Enrique, De Ridder, Jorge.

0-1. 69. Lequi. Got ahead of defence to head corner past keeper on near post.
0-2. 83. Baiano (penalty). After referee ruled that Perea had fouled Iriney in area.
0-3. 92. De Ridder. Ran on to Baiano pass and clipped shot wide of Leo Franco.

Controversy once again at the Calderón stadium, where Atlético Madrid's hopes of a return to Europe were dashed by a 0-3 defeat at the hands of Celta. Security measures were strengthened after the club were fined by the Federation following the temporary suspension of their last match against Sevilla due to objects thrown on the pitch by angry fans, but matters were not helped by posters distributed amongst the crowd complaining against referees. And in the end it was the performance of referee Lizondo Cortés which probably cost them the match.

The early chances fell to the Galicians though, and Leo Franco had to be at his best to keep out Baiano in the first minute, and then Silva and Canobbio later on. Atlético finally woke up shortly before the break though, with Fernando Torres testing Pinto with a header, Lequi coming close to putting through his own net and Angel clearing off the line from Antonio López.

Kezman and Galletti both wasted chances after the restart, and they paid the price when ex Atlético defender Lequi headed Jonathan's corner past Franco twenty minutes from the end. And any thoughts of a comeback ended when Lizondo awarded a penalty to the visitors after Iriney appeared to trip himself up in the area, and then ordered a retake after Baiano's first spot kick was saved by Franco. That took the wind out of their sails, and De Ridder wrapped things up with a third goal in injury time.