Second Division A - Day 6

The top two both lost on Saturday evening thanks to last minute strikes in their respective matches. Leaders Tenerife were beaten 1-0 by bottom club Castellón, who recorded their first win of the season. Martín Delgado's side were under pressure to get a result, and Keleman had to keep out an effort from Epitié midway through the first half as the locals took control. They could have been behind earlier on though had Toni Moral not fired an easy chance over the bar. Cristo Marrero came on for the locals but failed to find the target, and Fredi went close at the other end. But the game appeared to be heading for a draw when referee Téllez Sánchez mistakenly awarded a throw-in to the locals rather than their opponents, and Pardo took advantage to find substitute Marcos Estruch for him to head home the winner.

Levante also lost to an injury time goal against Gimnastic Tarragona, Diego Torres beating Cavallero following a corner to give the Catalans their third victory of the season. Despite the result it was a lively match, Diego Reyes and Pinilla going close for the locals with headers in the first half and Camacho, Reggi and N'Diaye replying for the Valencia based side at the other end. Nàstic were on top after the restart, Cavallero having to save from Jaio and Carlos Merino, but it looked as if the visitors were going to maintain their unbeaten record before Torres's late strike.

Elsewhere Valladolid spoilt Real Madrid's inauguration of their Ciudad Deportiva sporting complex, beating Castilla 2-3 in their new stadium with goals from three ex Madrid players. Sousa started things off with a low shot past Codina on the half hour mark, and although Barral connected with a pass from Balboa to equalise before the break, Tote picked up a loose ball to restore the lead five minutes after the restart. Champions League hero Soldado made it all square again after Valero set him up a quarter of an hour from the end, but a penalty by Palencia on Losada allowed Víctor to give his side the three points. (01.10.05)

Ciudad Murcia held on to fourth spot after drawing 1-1 at Numancia on Sunday lunchtime. The visitors were the stronger side before the break, with Iban Espadas testing Nuñez early on. And they went in front three minutes in to the second half with a Luque penalty after Kome had been fouled by Otxoa, who was shown the red card for the offence. It appeared that Ciudad were on their way to a win, but in the second minute of injury time Rubén López turned a shot from Juan Carlos Moreno over the line to save a point for the Soria based side. (02.10.05)

Real Murcia moved to the top of the table after a 2-1 win over Racing Ferrol. Casuco's side were on top right from the start, visiting keeper Bouchard saving an Iván Alonso penalty after the striker was brought down by Carlocho. And with only a quarter of an hour on the clock Racing were down to ten men after Crlocho picked up a second booking. Acciari got on the end of Pablo Sierra's free kick to head the locals into the lead on the half hour mark, but the Galicians got back in to the game after the restart and Juan Carlos took advantage of a mistake by Pignol to equalise, the first goal that Juanmi had let in for over 500 minutes. Substitute Pedro León restored the lead though ten minutes from the end with a well struck free kick, and it could have been a bigger win had Carrera not hit the bar in the final minutes.

Murcia are ahead of Xerez on goal difference after the Andalusian side beat newly promoted Hércules 1-0. The Alicante based team had clearly come to Jerez to defend and look for the breakaway, and there were no opportunities for either side until midway through the first half when Julio Iglesias saved well from visiting forward Dani Borreguero. Moso had to save from Geijo either side of half time though, and with a quarter of an hour to go Camuñas got what was to be the only goal of the game after the visiting keeper could only beat out a free kick from Alex Fernández.

Almería closed up on the leaders with a convincing 3-0 win over Sporting Gijón, who are running out of steam after their good start to the season. The Mediterranean coast side were in control right from the start, and took the lead when Varela got on the end of Francisco's cross to beat Roberto late in the first half. Francisco got the second himself after Crusat set him up soon after the restart, and would have added another from the penalty spot had the keeper not saved his kick. The locals were awarded a second penalty though after Carmena brought down Crusat a few minutes later, and this time Michel stepped up to drive home the kick.

Recreativo also join the group on ten points, just two outside of the promotion spots, although they had to come from behind to beat a battling Lorca 2-1. The Andalusians were defending a 100% home record, but they were caught out in the tenth minute when Isaac picked up a pass from Jorge Sánchez to put the visitors ahead. And it was not until the hour mark that Recre were able to draw level, Uche setting up Viqueira for him to beat Jauregui. After that though the home side dominated, and Uche headed home Cheli's cross for the winner with a quarter of an hour to go.

Elche too came back from a goal down to win 3-2 against Lleida in a match in which both sides ended with ten men. The locals had a Nino goal disallowed for an non-existent offside in the opening minutes, but they fell behind when a slack defence allowed Bilic to get on the end of Jacobo's cross. Lleida's Pelegrí was sent off soon afterwards, but the Catalans held on until early in the second half when Poland's Frankowski turned the scoreline around with two goals in seven minutes, both from assists by Nino. Substitute Raúl Ivars came on to score a third, but the locals had Mario sent off a few minutes later and Rubén set up an exciting finish with a late goal for the visitors.

Albacete moved out of the relegation zone after a late goal from Mario Bermejo gave them a belaboured 1-0 victory over Poli Ejido. The Manchegans were on top in the first half but could not find the route to goal, Bermejo hitting the bar and then bringing a good save out of Bello Amigo. The visitors had Llorens sent off for a second bookable offence ten minutes before half time, and Pepe Mel decided to pull his men back to defend. But after missing a couple of chances Bermejo finally beat his ex Racing Ferrol colleague to give his side a much needed three points, taking them above Málaga B and Eibar who play on Monday night. (02.10.05)

Málaga B and Eibar drew 1-1 in a match which was postponed to Monday night in view of the home game of Málaga's first team the day before. Although the locals saw more of the ball early on, the visitors took the lead on the half hour mark when Mairata beat Javi Muñoz following Jaime's corner. Etxeberría had to be at his best to keep out Calderón at the other end soon afterwards, and the midfielder came close to equalising again when he hit the post with a free kick in the second half. It looked though as if the Basque side were going to come away with the three points, but with the game going in to injury time Bosselli got on the end of Pina's cross to level the scores. (02.10.05)