Second Division A - Day 1

Mixed results for the Canary Island sides on the first day of the season. Las Palmas lost 0-1 to Xerez on their return to the second division, the hosts unable to turn around an early goal despite hitting the woodwork twice. Bajic headed the visitors in to the lead following a corner in the fourth minute, but Txiki hit the post and had another effort tipped on to the bar by Julio Iglesias, who also kept out Javi Matrel later on.

Tenerife won their opening game at Almería by the same score though, an own goal four minutes from the end giving them the three points. It took a great performance by Bernardo to keep the scores level in the first half though, the keeper saving from Larrea and Mané, and Ortíz hit the bar for the hosts after the restart. But De Palmas turned a Marc Bertrán cross past his own keeper four minutes from the end to give the visitors the win. (26.08.06)

Valladolid got off to a good start with a 1-3 win at Sporting Gijón on Sunday lunchtime. The visitors were on top from the start, and Asier hit the bar before Víctor gave them the lead with a hotly disputed penalty after the referee ruled that Samuel handled in the area. Juanmi levelled the scores just before the interval with a header which Iñaki Bea helped in to the net, keeper Jacobo being carried off in the incident. De la Cuesta put the visitors back in front though soon after the restart with a header past Roberto, and Víctor wrapped things up in the dying minutes.

Cádiz and Ciudad Murcia share top spot ahead of Valladolid on the opening day after both recorded convincing 3-0 victories later in the evening. Lucas Lobos was the hero of the night for Cádiz, scoring a hat-trick to give the Andalusians a win against newly promoted Vecindario. The Argentine forward lashed home a first half volley past substitute keeper Oliver, who had just replaced the injured Lampón, and added a second from the penalty spot in the second half after Ruano was sent off for stepping on him. The third also came from the penalty spot after Ciani brought down Acuña in the last minute.

Ciudad Murcia also beat Poli Ejido 3-0, although they were lucky not to go behind in the first half when Toedtli and Víctor Salas missed easy chances. Luque put the hosts ahead from the penalty spot on the stroke of half time after Tena fouled Saizar, and Gibanel headed the second from Luque's corner after the restart. Luque and Usero were both sent off as tempers frayed, and Saizar rounded things off with a second penalty in injury time after Borja was brought down.

Like Cádiz, Málaga are keen to return to the top flight at the first attempt, and they got off to a 0-1 win at Hércules. It was a dull match though, and apart from a turned down penalty appeal for a foul on Edgar there was little action until Calleja won the ball down the wing and crossed in for Pablo Couñago to score on the hour mark. Arnau had to be at his best though to stop Montenegro from equalising near the end.

Albacete also began the new season well with a 2-0 victory over another of the debutants Ponferradina. Ferrón had a penalty appeal turned down and headed wide before the break as the locals dominated, and they went ahead early in the second half when Ferrón headed on Diego Alegre's cross for Héctor Bueno to beat Rubio. And substitute Akorra headed the second from a David Sánchez cross just a couple of minutes after coming on to wrap things up.

Salamanca celebrated their return to the second division with an exciting 3-2 result against Real Murcia, Charcos getting the winner in the last minute following a corner. Dani Tortolero gave the locals the lead close to half time from Quique Martín's pass, but Pedro León volleyed home the equaliser on the hour mark. Martín restored the lead from the penalty spot after Zé Tó was fouled by Capi, but Antoñito appeared to have saved a point three minutes from the end with a shot into the top corner of the net before Charcos struck.

Not such a good start for Alavés though, Dmitri Piterman's side being held to a 1-1 draw with Elche. The visitors opened the scoring with less than a minute on the clock, Gastón Casas beating Bonano with a low shot, but Rubén Navarro and Astudillo both brought good saves out of Caballero before Navarro volleyed home Brandán's corner on the quarter hour mark. Aloisi hit the bar in the second half but there was no way through.

A 1-1 draw as well between Castellón and Real Madrid Castilla, a game in which the two coaches Pepe Moré and Michel picked their respective sons in their line ups. The visitors had several chances before local striker Tabares beat two defenders and scored past debutant keeper Adán just before half time. But Adán's under Spanish 19 team-mate Mata came on to save a point with a low shot, shortly after Castellón defender Aurelio Santos had been sent off for a foul on Negredo.

Honours were shared as well in the match between Numancia and Lorca, which ended without goals. Chances were few and far betwen, with Julio Alvarez and Juan Carlos Moreno missing the target and Alexandre hitting the side netting before the break. The visitors ended with ten men after Xavi Moro was shown a red card for a second booking near the end. (27.08.06)