Second Division A - Day 2

Castellón top the second division after Saturday evening's games, the East coast side (who beat Real sociedad in their opening match) coming from a goal down to beat Celta 2-1. Antonio Nuñez gave Hristo Stoichkov's side the lead with twenty minutes to go after Canobbio set him up, but Arana took advantage of a bad clearance by Pinto to equalise just two minutes later. Celta were left with ten men when Peña picked up a second booking three minutes from the end, and the visitors took advantage, Aurelio heading the winner to turn the scoreline around.

Last week's leaders Sporting Gijón were held to a 2-2 draw at Las Palmas, although they were thankful to come away with a point after Jorge's late headed equaliser. The Asturians had opened the scoring through Kike Mateo on a quick counter-attack just before the break, but Iván Hernández was sent off for bringing down Marcos Márquez in the area soon after the restart, the striker converting the resulting spot kick. And Juanma appeared to have given the Canary Islanders the victory when he headed home a Trashorras corner a few minutes later.

Real Sociedad beat local rivals Eibar 0-1 to take their first points of the season, a relief for new coach Chris Coleman. The only goal was scored by Gerardo from the penalty spot after Vaughan was fouled by Urzelai in the area on the hour mark. The home side could have saved a point though when Yagüe headed against the post later on, and they also had a couple of penalty appeals turned down themselves.

Hércules clocked up a late 2-3 victory in Motril against Granada 74, who were playing their first home game in the second division after taking over from Ciudad Murcia in the summer. Llera put the visitors in front when he headed home albácar's corner, and although Francisco made it all square before the break with an angled shot, Tote restored the lead following a corner four minutes after the restart. Luque equalised again from the penalty spot after Paco Esteban was fouled, but Jaume got on the end of a Farinós corner to head the winner with five minutes to go. (01.09.07)

Málaga join Castellón at the top of the table after beating Alavés 0-1 on Sunday lunchtime. Mena hit the post for the locals and then brought a good save out of Goitia, with Hidalgo and Salva both testing Bernardo at the other end before the break. Goitia had to keep out Bayón and Pablo Casar after the restart, but Peragón headed what was to prove the only goal from Eliseu's cross twelve minutes from the end. (02.09.07)

Numancia drop out of the top three though after they drew 1-1 later in the evening with an Elche side who had also won on the opening day. Iván Amaya gave the locals the lead when he headed past Jacobo on the hour mark. But Arconada brought on Rafa Jordá and Mario in a double change with ten minutes to go, and the two combined for Jordà to head home Mario's cross to equalise in the last minute.

Gimnastic are up to fifth after a late 2-2 draw at Córdoba, Pinilla saving a point for the Catalans from the penalty spot five minutes from the end after the referee ruled that Pierini had fouled Maldonado. Dani Tortolero had headed the Catalans into an early lead, but they were left with ten men when Oscar Rubio was sent off midway through the first half. Arteaga equalised on the stroke of half time and then set up Asen to put the locals in front soon after the restart. But Pinilla converted his kick, and Maldonado and Arthuro were both sent off for second bookable offences in a tense last few minutes.

Tenerife move up into the top half of the table after a 2-0 win over Cádiz. Gastón Casas and Dani could both have scored for the visitors, but Nino took advantage of slack defending to put the Canary Islanders ahead a few minutes before the interval. And Ayoze wrapped things up when he got on the end of a Santos cross to head wide of Contreras just four minutes after the restart.

Racing Ferrol are also undefeated after beating Poli Ejido 1-3, a result which leaves the Andalusians firmly anchored to the bottom of the table. Jaime finished off a good move by Jonathan Pereira in the twentieth minute, and Javi Rodríguez converted a penalty to make it two for the Galicians with less than a quarter of the game gone. Juli volleyed one back with ten minutes to go, but Charpenet made sure of the three points from a free kick in injury time.

Xerez and Albacete shared the points in a 1-1 draw, and both have yet to win this season. Azkorra got on the end of Barkero's cross to open the scoring for the visitors ten minutes before the break, but Pedro Rios equalised after good work by Yordi shortly before half time, and Yordi could have won it for the Andalusians when he hit the post after the restart.

Finally Sevilla Atlético beat Salamanca 0-1, a victory which they dedicated to their ex team mate Antonio Puerta. The only goal of the game came from the penalty spot on the quarter hour mark, Pablo Sánchez converting the kick after Catalá had fouled in the area. Both sides ended with ten men after Casado and Pelegrín were sent off for second bookable offences in the final minutes of the game. (02.09.07)