Second Division A - Day 6

Leaders Málaga beat Poli Ejido 2-3 on Saturday evening to make it six straight wins in a row. Peragón gave them the lead in the twelfth minute with a low shot, but Bermejo made it all square from the penalty spot after Molina was fouled soon after the restart. A few minutes later though Tena put through his own net trying to cut out Calleja's cross, and Peragón got his second of the night after Bello Serrans failed to hold on to a long free kick with ten minutes to go. Juli got one back soon afterwards, but when Almirón was sent off for a second bookable offence it was all over.

Meanwhile the second and third placed teams played each other, with Sporting Gijón running out 0-2 winners at Numancia to overtake their rivals in the table. Both goals came from Barral in a five minute period midway the second half, the first following a pass from Michel, and the second with an angled shot from the edge of the area. The ex Castilla striker heads up the Pichichi table with six, two ahead of Brit, who was substituted later on.

Gimnastic missed out on a chance to draw level with Numancia after they were beaten 1-0 by bottom club Las Palmas. Trashorras got the only goal in only the second minute of the game, heading in a pass from Marcos Márquez to take the Canary Islanders out of the drop zone. And they held on despite having Cobas sent off for a second bookable offence on the hour mark. The result saved the head of local coach Juanito, who was given an ultimatum before the match.

Castellón moved back up to fifth spot after beating Cádiz 2-0, their first win in five games. Although the early chances fell to the visitors, Obermans put the locals ahead shortly before half time after Reggi laid the ball back. And Perico got the second after the restart, beating Contreras after Rafita set him up. Nano went close for the Andalusians near the end, but Oliva and his defence held fast.

Elsewhere Alavés and Tenerife cancelled each other out in a 0-0 draw, a result which leaves the Vitoria based side without a win, still down in the bottom four. Both sides had chances throughout the match, the best in the second half from Pablo Casar and Iriome, but keepers Bernardo and Juan Pablo were not really troubled. (29.09.07)

Elche clocked up their first home win of the season, Bellvis scoring a goal in each half in a 2-0 victory over Celta on Sunday lunchtime. After a bad start Hristo Stoichkov's side had won their last two games, and they dominated the opening minutes. But Bellvis got behind the defence to round Pinto and score with just under a quarter of an hour gone, and three minutes in to the second half Noel-Williams almost made it two when he hit the post from outside of the area. Bellvis got his second of the day though later in the second half after efforts from Víctor Gómis and Noel-Williams were blocked to take his side away from the danger zone.

Racing Ferrol consolidated fourth spot with a 1-2 win on Sunday evening over an Albacete side who end the weekend at the bottom of the table. Calandria went close for the locals a couple of times early on, but Cohen put the Galicians ahead in their first real attack ten minutes before the break, beating Javi Martínez from the edge of the area. And on the stroke of half time Jonathan Periera got a second after the keeper could only push out Medina's shot. Calandria headed against the bar after the restart, and a few minutes later finally got one back for the Manchegans, but it was not enough to change the result.

Hércules are fifth after drawing 1-1 at Salamanca, where a heavy rainstorm made the pitch almost unplayable. The goals came early on, Quique Martín combining with Zé Tó to put the home side ahead in the ninth minute, and Tote replying after Blas Pérez set him up a few minutes later. With the rain falling heavily, the only chances after the break were a possible penalty on Blas Pérez, and a shot at the other end by Acuña which went wide.

Sevilla Atlético are level with Hércules after an injury time 0-1 win at Eibar. The Basque side had the better chances throughout, Txiki hitting the bar with a free kick midway through the first half, and bringing a good save out of Javi Varas after the restart. But with five minutes to go the local full back was sent off after picking up a second booking, and with the game in time added on substitute Moreno picked up a pass from Pablo Sánchez to round Cuéllar and score the winner.

Real Sociedad rise up the table faltered slightly when they could only draw 1-1 at Xerez. Antoñito picked up a long ball to open the scoring for the Andalusians in the twentieth minute, and either side could have scored after that, Momo clearing off the line at one end and Riesgo saving from Marcos Navas at the other. Díaz de Cerio made it all square shortly before the break after the defence failed to clear a free kick, and Xabi Prieto could have won it for the visitors when he hit the bar after the interval.

Finally the match between neighbours Córdoba and Granada 74 ended without goals. Javi Moreno brought a couple of good saves out of Jaime in the opening minutes, and the visitors went close a couple of times either side of half time, Julio Iglesias saving a Luque free kick and Falcón heading wide. Aranda also tried his luck for Granada after the break, but in the end both teams settled for a point, which was the first for the away side outside of their own stadium this season. (30.09.07)