Second Division A - Day 11

Third placed Sporting Gijón lost 2-0 at Gimnàstic on Saturday evening, their second defeat in a row after starting the season unbeaten. Jandro got both goals, the first from the penalty spot midway through the first half after Sastre brought down Antonio López on the edge of the area. And the ex Valencia and Celta midfielder got the second ten minutes after the restart after Maldonado put him through. Substitue Omar came close to getting one back when he ran on to Roberto's long clearance to head past the other Roberto just wide of the post, but Nàstic held on for their first win in six games.

Fifth placed Elche didn't take full advantage though, a 0-0 draw at Granada 74 leaving them still three points adrift of the promotion spots. David Vidal's side must be thankful for saving a point though after the locals dominated the match from start to finish, with Javi Guerra hitting the post in the opening minutes and Francisco going close after the restart.

Derbies all round in the other three games, with Canary Islanders Tenerife and Las Palmas sharing the points in a 2-2 draw, a good result for the visitors' new coach Juan Manuel Rodríguez. Nino put the locals ahead in the seventh minute following Ayoze's corner, but Darino equalised just ten minutes later with a shot wide of Juan Pablo. Culebras put the hosts back in front after the restart, but Adrián saved a point for the visitors after picking up a pass from Trashorras later on.

Cádiz climbed out of the relegation spots to the detriment of their neighbours Xerez after a 2-1 victory, thanks in part to two early goals from Abraham Paz. The central defender got on the end of a Lucas Lobos cross to open the scoring in the sixth minute, and added a second after Porato failed to cut out Enrique's cross. Michel got one back before half time after Samuel's free kick came back off the bar, but they could do no more.

Alavés beat Eibar 1-0 in a game which was overshadowed by the collapse of a railing which left several fans in hospital. The incident happened when Toni Moral latched on to Samuel's pass to get what was to prove the only goal of the match on the quarter hour mark, the fans surging forward to celebrate the strike and falling in to a trench. After a brief delay the match continued, but apart from a couple more chances for Moral there was little to talk about. (03.11.07)

Málaga are off top spot after losing 0-1 on Sunday lunchtime to Numancia, who move above them in the table. Visiting keeper Jacobo kept out Weligton, Baha and Hidalgo before the break, but the locals went behind when Julio Alvarez leapt forward to head a cross from the right wing into the top corner of the net soon after the restart. Coach Juan Ramón López Muñiz brought on Sandro and Salva, and Salva and Hidalgo both went close later on. But the Soria based side held on to take the three points, keep up their unbeaten away record and hand the Andalusians their first home defeat of the season.

Later in the evening fourth placed Sevilla Atlético were held to a 0-0 draw by an improving Albacete, who move to within two points of escaping the relegation zone. Fermín Galeote was in charge of the B team for the first time after Manuel Jiménez was promoted to take over the senior side, coinciding with the return of the youngsters to the Sánchez Pizjuán stadium. Keepers Javi Martínez and Javi Varas were in action early on to stop efforts from Juan Pablo and Meyong Zé, but apart from a header by Calandria against the woodwork neither side had much chance of scoring.

Córdoba moved up to sixth with a late 2-1 win over Castellón, inspired by coach Paco Jémez who threw on five forwards for the last quarter of an hour with the scores level. Pierini had headed the Andalusians into the lead five minutes after the restart, but a couple of minutes later Perico had taken advantage of a defensive mistake to equalise. However veteran striker Javi Moreno headed the winner in the ninetieth minute for the home side.

Celta were unable to do more than draw 1-1 with local rivals Racing Ferrol, leaving López Caro's side in seventh spot. The hosts had the better of the first half, Lequi in particular going close, and Okkas got on the end of a cross from George Lucas to open the scoring ten minutes after the break. But Pinto did well to tip an effort from Medina onto the bar and over the top, and from the resulting corner Charpenet headed the equaliser.

Real Sociedad also drew 1-1 at Hércules, a result which keeps the Alicante based side a point ahead of their opponents in mid-table. The locals went ahead on the half hour mark when Rubén Navarro beat Riesgo after Montenegro's shot came back off the post. But Xabi Preito equalised with a shot from outside of the area with just under twenty minutes to go, and Díaz de Cerio missed an easy chance to put Chris Coleman's side ahead a couple of minutes later. Hércules were left with ten men when Rodri picked up a second booking, but local keeper Unai Alba kept out Delibasic and company until the final whistle.

Salamanca produced their best result of the season, a 4-1 victory over struggling Poli Ejido taking them away from the danger zone. David Rodríguez headed the first from Quique Martín's shot in the tenth minute, and then set up Isaac for the second on the half hour mark.Toedtli headed one back from a corner close to the break, and Mario Bermejo could have equalised when he hit the post a few minutes later. Bur Raúl Gañan fired a scorcher past Alvaro Iglesias soon after the restart, and after Tena was sent off for a second bookable offence, substitute Postigo wrapped things up after the keeper could only block an effort from Quique Martín late on. (04.11.07)