Second Division A - Day 13

Four matches in the second division on Saturday, with Málaga consolidating their place at the top after coming from behind to beat Racing Ferrol 4-2. The Galicians were two up at the break Gaitán turning a Jaime cross into his own net and Jonathan Pereira beating Goitia with a long shot. But referee Pino Zamorano awarded a controversial penalty to half time substitute Gerardo on the hour mark, and Antonio Hidalgo stepped up to convert (Pino showed red cards to substitutes Manolo Sánchez and Javi Rodríguez for protesting whilst still on the bench). Just two minutes later Hidalgo got his second of the evening with a header from Paolo Jorge's cross to level the scores, and Gerardo and Peragón wrapped things up in the last five minutes, the former with a header from Eliseu's centre and the latter with a shot on the turn.

Sporting Gijón move back up to third after beating last week's incumbent Sevilla Atlético 1-3, ending a run of three defeats in a row and handing the Sevilla B side their first home defeat of the season. A Lolo own goal from Pedro's free kick on the half hour mark and a shot from Kike Mateo soon afterwards gave the Asturians a two goal lead by half time. With twelve minutes to go David Prieto headed one back for the locals from Salva's Sevilla's free kick, but David Barral finished them off with a third goal on a rapid counter-attack near the end.

The game between Gimnàstic and Real Sociedad, two of the sides relegated last season, ended in a 1-1 draw. The Basque side dominated the first half, Aranburu hitting the post before setting up Delibasic for the opening goal midway through the first half. But they had Víctor López sent off for a second bookable offence before half time and the Catalans took advantage to equalise when Dani Tortolero headed home a corner with ten minutes to go. It was another blow for Real, who are currently undergoing an institutional crisis after their lady president Maria de la Peña and her board resigned midweek.

Meanwhile Albacete's nightmare season continued with a 1-0 defeat at Granada 74, and the Manchegans sink further down in the drop zone. Substitute Borja Criado got the only goal for the home side in the eightieth minute with a shot from outside of the area, and although the locals were left with ten men after Benja was shown a second yellow card, they were unable to beat a confident Jaime. (17.11.07)

Second placed Numancia lost a bit of ground on Málaga after a 0-0 draw at Cádiz on Sunday evening, and they ended the weekend three points behind the leaders. The locals had the better of the first half, in particular Lucas Lobos causing problems for the visiting defence, and Gastón Casas missed an easy chance soon after the restart. Contreras saved a Del Pino header and Abraham Paz cleared off the line from Julio Alvarez with the keeper beaten as the visitors fought back, but Lobos almost made it three wins in a row for the Andalusians with a last minute free kick which Jacobo just managed to push around the post.

Fifth placed Elche also failed to close up on the top three after losing 3-1 at Salamanca, despite taking the lead in the second minute when Miguel volleyed past Alberto. Quique Martín equalised though from the penalty spot after Fuster fouled Gañán on the hour mark, and just four minutes later Jorge Alonso scored directly from an inswinging corner. And Gañán and Jurado combined ten minutes later to set up David Rodríguez for the third, extending Salamanca's run of straight wins to three in a row.

Celta moved to within a point of Elche after beating Hércules 0-1, the Alicante based side's third defeat at home this season. The visitors had not been beaten in six games before this one and they had the better chances throughout, Diego Costa hitting the post and Jesús Perera and Quincy going close. The home side's only response was a long shot from Rubén Navarro, and the Galicians took the three points thanks to a goal early in the second half from Perera, who headed a Canobbio cross past Unai Alba early in the second half.

Córdoba dropped to seventh after drawing 1-1 with Poli Ejido, a game which ended in controversy after referee Gardeazabal Gómez ruled that Castell's shot had just crossed the line for the equaliser before keeper Valle scrambled it away. The home side could have taken the lead before the break from the penalty spot after De Muner fouled Arthuro, but Alvaro Iglesias saved Javi Moreno's spot kick. Arteaga appeared to have won it for them though with an individualist goal a quarter of an hour from the end, but the referee allowed the game to overrun by two minutes before Castell scored, provoking serious protests from the crowd.

Tenerife climbed back into the top half of the table after a comfortable 3-1 win over struggling Xerez, who drop further into the relegation zone as a result. The return of Ricardo and Iriome to the side made the difference, the former opening the scoring in the fourth minute with a shot from outside of the area, and the latter adding the second twenty minutes later after the defence failed to cut out Ricardo's cross. Yordi got one back from the penalty spot after Antoñito was brought down just two minutes in to the second half, but Nino beat Porato with twenty minutes to go to wrap things up.

Tenerife move ahead of Castellón and Eibar, who could only draw 0-0. Both sides had dropped down the table after good early starts, and chances were few and far between in a dull match. The visitors could have scored their first goal ever in the Castalia stadium when they were awarded a first half penalty after Carlos Sánchez brought down Del Olmo, but the keeper made up for his mistake saving Biel Medina's kick. Castellón have only won one in their last seven games, and Eibar one in their last five.

Alavés distanced themselves from the drop zone after a 3-1 win over Las Palmas, who are now firmly anchored to the foot of the table. Raúl Sánchez headed the Vitoria based side into the lead from Toni Moral's corner midway through the first half, and Sergio Rodríguez added two more soon after the restart, the first from Moral's pass and the second from Gabri's. Trashorras got one back a couple of minutes later after Francis set him up, but they could do no more and ended the weekend on six points, the worst start in their history. (18.11.07)