Second Division A - Day 21

Three games on Saturday, with Celta moving up to fourth in the table after a last minute 2-3 win over Alavés. Diego Costa ran through to open the scoring in the eleventh minute, and Aganzo fired a penalty straight at keeper Esteban after Nuñez handled in the area soon afterwards. Samuel and Canobbio had goals disallowed at either end, but Aganzo took advantage of a sleepy Esteban to equalise on the half hour mark. Jorge restored the lead when Bernardo failed to cut out a cross after the restart, and although Gabri levelled the scores again following a throw in, Jesús Perera picked up a rebound to score the winner right at the end.

Sevilla Atlético are level with Celta on points after drawing 1-1 at Granada 74. Alfaro took advantage of a mistake by the defence to give the youngsters a fourth minute lead. Javi Guerra equalised later in the first half, heading in Luque's cross, but the locals felt themselves unlucky not to win after the referee turned down a possible penalty on Francisco near the end.

Elsewhere Las Palmas climbed out of the relegation zone to the detriment of Albacete after beating the Manchegans 2-1. Sergio Suárez headed the opening goal in the tenth minute following a corner, and although Barkero equalised with a shot from outside of the area five minutes in to the second half, new signing Cristian Fernández headed the winner ten minutes from the end. (19.01.08)

Sporting Gijón held on to third spot with a 0-3 victory at Eibar on Sunday lunchtime. Diego Castro opened the scoring in only the second minute, lifting the ball over the head of Cuéllar, and the Basque side had Txiki sent off a few minutes before half time. And David Barral and Bilic took advantage to add two more in a three minute period midway through the second half. (20.01.08)

Numancia are the second division winter champions at the half-way stage of the competition after winning 1-2 at Poli Ejido, keeping up their unbeaten away record this season. Carmelo put them ahead in the twentieth minute with an effort which Curro Vacas deflected in to his own net, but Pedro Vega equalised with a twice taken penalty after Ortega fouled Molina close to half time. However with eight minutes to go substitute Quero got the winner on a quick breakaway to take his side a point clear at the top. Almirón was sent off after that for a second bookable offence, and Poli decided soon afterwards to fire coach Luis César after a string of poor results.

Málaga drop to second after they were held to a 1-1 draw at Tenerife. Both goals came early on, Baha giving the Andalusians the lead in the eighth minute after an effort from Salva was saved, but Nino equalised on the quarter hour mark after Oscar Pérez set him up. And the locals held on for a point despite having Manuel Martínez sent off for a second booking with half an hour still to go.

Real Sociedad are up to fourth, just a point behind Sporting, after a 1-3 victory at Córdoba. New coach Eizmendi saw his side take the lead in the fifth minute when Garitano scored following a corner, and Díaz de Cerío rounded Valle to score the second a few minutes after the interval. Paco Jémez threw on all his fire power and Asen got one back, but Díaz de Cerío got his second of the night with three minutes to go to hand the Andalusians their first home defeat of the season.

Elche drop down to sixth after a surprise 2-4 defeat at the hands of struggling Xerez. A fourth minute overhead kick from Rubén (who injured himself in the play) was soon cancelled out by a strike from Marco Navas on the counter-attack and an effort from Aguilar which Caballero helped in to his own net. Yordi got a third from the penalty spot on the stroke of half time and Aguilar got a fourth to set up the Andalusians' first win since November. Luna did get another one back near the end, but too late to change the result.

The victory takes the Andalusians off the bottom of the table above Racing Ferrol, who have now gone 15 games without a win after a 1-0 defeat against Pepe Murcia's Castellón. Mario Rosas got the only goal from the penalty spot in the tenth minute after Tabares was fouled, although the Galicians could have saved a point when Mato had a goal disallowed after the break for a borderline offside.

Gimnastic stay out of the bottom four after picking up a point in a 1-1 draw at Salamanca. Català opened the scoring for the locals early on after a Dani López free kick came back off the upright, but David García equalised for the Catalans following a corner in the second half. And only a couple of good saves by Biel Ribas from De Carlos late on prevented the visitors from taking the three points.

Elsewhere Hércules beat Cádiz 1-2, their first win in six games taking some of the pressure off coach Andoni Goikoetxea. Ismael put the visitors ahead with a shot into the top corner of the net shortly before the interval, and although Parri levelled the scores from the penalty spot midway through the second half, new signing Ion Vélez got the winner with ten minutes to go. (20.01.08)