Second Division A - Day 42

Coming in to the last weekend of the season, with three sides still battling for the two remaining promotion spots, and no less than six trying to avoid the last two relegation places. That means that eight of the eleven games kick off at the same time on Sunday evening. Two matches were allowed to take place on Saturday though, second division champions Numancia ending a successful campaign with a 2-2 draw against bottom club Poli Ejido. Molina put the visitors ahead before the break, and although a Rafa Jordà strike and a Gorka Brit penalty turned the scoreline around after the restart, Molina got his second of the day late on to save a point. Later in the evening Salamanca beat Gimnàstic 1-2, goals either side of half time by David Rodríguez (the first from the penalty spot) enough to take the three points despite a well struck free kick elater on from David Sánchez. (14.06.08)

Sevilla Atlético completed their first year at this level with a 4-2 win over Granada 74 on Sunday lunchtime. The visitors were already relegated last weekend, but they took the lead with a Luque penalty in the eighth minute. After the interval though, goals from Igor, Armenteros and Pablo Sánchez put the locals ahead, and although Javi Guerra got one back, Armenteros wrapped things up with his second of the day in the last minute. (15.06.08)

Málaga and Sporting Gijón will join Numancia in the first division next season after both won their respective matches later in the evening. Málaga beat Tenerife 2-1, the victory making sure they stayed ahead of fourth placed Real Sociedad. Antonio Hidalgo beat Raúl Navas to give the Andalusians the lead just before the interval, and added the second from the penalty spot with twenty minutes to go after Juanma handled inside the area. Nino got one back in injury time with a little help from Weligton, but an overenthusiastic crowd invaded the pitch before the final whistle, and it took ten minutes before the referee cleared the pitch and allowed the remaining couple of minutes to take place. After three years and a period of legal administration though they are back in the top flight.

Sporting Gijón have been waiting much longer though since they were last in the first division, but a 2-0 victory over Eibar took them back up for the first time in eleven seasons. A capacity crowd saw Bilic head Sastre's cross past Herrera to open the scoring ten minutes before the break, and local boy Luis Morán cut in from the wing to score the second for the Asturians with twelve minutes to go. That left fourth placed Real Sociedad four points adrift after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Córdoba, and the Basque side may now have to take drastic measures after pinning all their hopes on an immediate return to the first division. Both goals came late in the first half, Julio Pineda putting the visitors ahead before Labaka headed the equaliser from Gerardo's free kick. The draw was just enough to save Córdoba, who escaped the drop by the skin of their teeth, but Real will have to carry on in the second division in what is their centenary year.

A cruel ending for Cádiz and Racing Ferrol, who were both relegated despite putting up valiant rear guard actions. Cádiz could only draw 1-1 at Hércules, although Abraham Paz fired a last minute penalty against the post after a defender handled in the area which would have kept them up. No less than 2,000 fans made the long journey to Alicante, but an initial glimmer of hope when Gustavo López scored midway through the first half was soon cancelled out by Sendoa's equaliser. A run of only four points in eight games was enough to take them down, and they now face an uncertain future after a series of board room battles and four coaches in a season. Racing Ferrol also go down just a year after winning promotion despite a 1-0 win over Castellón, Rubén García's first half headed goal not enough to save them in the end as results elsewhere went against them.

Alavés scraped past the Galicians after coming from behind to win 2-3 at Celta, a result which not only kept them up but also saved them from financial ruin. Canobbio's early goal appeared to signal the end, but strikes from Aganzo, Gabri and Toni Moral after the break put them ahead before Antonio Nuñez's injury time free kick set up a nail-biting finish. Albacete avoided the drop as well with a 3-1 victory over Las Palmas, Xavi Jiménez and Diego Alegre putting the Manchegans two up at the break. Fukuda got one back after the restart, but a Barkero penalty after David García was sent off for a foul on Calandria saved the day for the locals. And Xerez are also safe after beating Elche 1-0, Yordi fittingly getting the only goal on the hour mark to end the season as the second division's "Pichichi" with twenty "dianas" to his name. (15.06.08)