First Division - Day 2

Sevilla 4 - Sporting Gijón 3

Sevilla: Palop; Konko, Squillaci, David Prieto (Romaric 46'), Dragutinovic (Fernando Navarro 46'); Jesús Navas, Maresca, Fazio, Diego Capel; Kanouté, Chevantón (Luis Fabiano 58'). 4-4-2.
Sporting: Sergio Sánchez; Sastre (Andreu 73'), Colin, Jorge, Canella; Matabuena, Michel (Iván Hernández 46'); Maldonado, Diego Castro (Barral 65'), Carmelo; Bilic. 4-2-3-1.

Team changes: Sevilla: Dragutinovic, Fazio, Diego Capel, Chevantón for Fernando Navarro, Romaric, Adriano, Luis Fabiano / Sporting: Colin, Maldonado, Carmelo, Bilic for Iván Hernández, Pedro, Kike Mateo, Barral.

0-1. 18. Diego Castro. Shot from left which David Prieto deflected over Palop.
0-2. 20. Bilic. Shot from Camelo's cross which ballooned off Drago over keeper.
1-2. 21. Chevantón. Header on far post after defence failed to stop Navas cross.
2-2. 36. Kanouté. Got on end of Maresca cross to turn ball in on far post.
3-2. 37. Maresca. Picked up Kanouté pass and fired low shot in off post.
3-3. 45. Bilic (penalty). After Squillaci brought down Carmelo inside area.
4-3. 60. Kanouté. Following up after Sánchez failed to hold on to Romaric shot.

Sevilla head up the first division with Sunday's games to go after a high scoring 4-3 win over Sporting Gijón. The Asturians surprised their hosts with two goals in a three minute period midway through the first half, Bilic turning in assists from Diego Castro and Carmelo with help from local defenders Prieto and Dragutinovic (although referee Mateu Lahoz awarded the first goal to Diego Castro, ruling that Bilic had not touched the ball).

Up to that point the home side had been on top, and Chevantón headed one back almost immediately after a slack defence allowed a cross from Navas through to the far post. And within a quarter of an hour the Andalusians were in front, Kanouté levelling the scores after a quick throw (assisted by a smart ball boy) left Maresca free to cross the ball to the striker, and Maresca himself beating Sergio Sánchez with a long shot a minute later.

Bilic levelled the scores once again though from the penalty spot on the stroke of half time after Squillaci fouled Carmelo, and everyone was happy to have a chance to get their breath back when the referee blew for half time. Both sides took advantage to restructure shaky defences, and things quietened down after the restart. The game began again, but this time Sevilla were in control, Maresca and Kanouté testing Sánchez before the keeper failed to hold on to a powerful shot from Romaric, and Kanouté ran in to finish off.

Luis Fabiano went close a couple of times after that, but Sporting also had their chances, and the local fans were relieved when it was all over. Quite a match, but the Asturians have to improve their defence if they are to stay in the top flight for another year. They ended the weekend at the bottom of the pack, despite having scored four times in their first two games.