First Division - Day 17

Valencia 3 - Atlético Madrid 1

Valencia: Renan; Miguel, Raúl Albiol, Maduro, Moretti; Baraja (Manuel Fernandes 66'), Albelda; Joaquín, David Silva (Edu 85'), Mata (Vicente 82'); David Villa. 4-2-3-1.
Atlético: Leo Franco; Perea, Pablo, Heitinga, Pernía; Luis García (Sinama-Pongolle 75'), Paulo Assunçao, Raúl García, Simao; Agüero, Diego Forlán. 4-4-2.

Team changes: Valencia: Maduro, Moretti, David Silva for Marchena, Del Horno, Manuel Fernandes / Atlético: Ujfalusi, Luis García, Raúl García for Pablo, Maxi, Maniche.

1-0. 34. David Villa (penalty). After Baraja fouled by Raúl García inside area.
2-0. 39. David Silva. Collected square pass from Miguel and ran on to beat keeper.
2-1. 45. Diego Forlán (penalty). After Baraja pushed over Agüero inside area.
3-1. 68. David Silva. Picked up Joaquín pass and fired long shot inside near post.

Yellow cards: Raúl García 33', Baraja 44', Albelda 72', Perea 75', Heitinga 77'.

Valencia moved up to second spot pending Sunday's games after beating Atlético Madrid 3-1 late on Saturday evening. The Ches started strongly, referee Rodríguez Santiago ruling out strikes by David Villa and David Silva in the opening minutes, the first for a previous foul and the second for offside. Silva turned a shot just wide of the post from Joaquín's cross, and Villa felt he should have had a penalty after Perea barged in to him in the area. A few minutes later though his side were awarded a less obvious penalty when Baraja fell rather too easily under a challenge from Raúl García, Villa converting the spot kick for his first goal in four games.

Five minutes later the locals went two up, Miguel winning the ball off Pernía and running on to set up Silva, who went on to poke a shot wide of Leo Franco. With Atlético hardly in the game it seemed they would score more, but on the stroke of half time Agüero went down in the area after Baraja pushed him from behind, and Forlán stepped up to pull one back from the penalty spot.

The goal inspired the visitors, who came out looking for the equaliser after the restart. Forlán fired a shot over the top and Simao brought a good save out of Renan, but then Silva appeared again to pick up the ball in midfield and beat the keeper with an impressive shot from outside of the area. After that it was Renan's turn to shine, the keeper making important saves from a Pernía free kick and a bouncing shot from Agüero. It was enough to secure the win, end Atlético's fifteen game unbeaten run, and take Emery's side above their opponents in the table.