First Division - Day 32

Racing Santander 5 - Atlético Madrid 1

Racing: Toño (Coltorti 71'); Pinillos, Garay, Cristian Fernández, Sepsi; Munitis, Moratón, Colsa, Toni Moral (Oscar Serrano 58'); Tchité, Zigic (Picón 89'). 4-4-2.
Atlético: Leo Franco; Perea, Pablo, Ujfalusi, Antonio López; Sinama-Pongolle (Maxi 46'), Paulo Assunçao, Raúl García (Banega 46'), Simao (Luis García 78'); Agüero, Diego Forlán. 4-4-2.

Team changes: Racing: Toño, Cristian Fernández, Sepsi, Moratón, Toni Moral, Tchité for Coltorti, Marcano, Luis Fernández, Lacen, Jonathan Pereira, Oscar Serrano / Atlético: Pablo, Sinama-Pongolle for Heitinga, Maxi.

1-0. 09. Cristian Fernández. Following up after Zigic header came back off bar.
2-0. 16. Garay. Steered header back across Leo Franco from Munitis free kick.
3-0. 38. Tchité. Forced way past Ujfalusi and poked shot wide of keeper.
3-1. 62. Forlán (penalty). After Colsa brought down Agüero inside penalty area.
4-1. 65. Munitis. Picked up ball on edge of area and chipped shot over keeper.
5-1. 87. Zigic. Dived forward to head Colsa's cross past Leo Franco on far post.

Yellow cards: Perea 48', Colsa 60', Assunçao 68', Serrano 72', Zigic 80'.

Atlético Madrid stay out of the European spots after a 5-1 thrashing by Racing Santander. Atleti's long suffering fans never know what to expect, but this time they were taken apart by a Racing side who needed points to be safe. Defenders Cristian Fernández and Garay put the Cantabrians two up in the first quarter of an hour, the first after Zigic's header came back off the bar and the second with a header from a wide Munitis free kick. And before the break Tchité made it three after running through a static defence to poke the ball past Toño.

Diego Forlán got one back from the penalty spot on the hour mark after Agüero was fouled by Colsa, and for a few minutes there was hope of a comeback. But Munitis scuppered any chance of that with a delightful chip from the edge of the area over the head of the advancing Leo Franco, and Zigic completed the rout when he dived forward to head in Colsa's cross with three minutes to go.