Second Division A - Day 4

Draws all round in the second division on Saturday. The match between Sevilla Atlético and Rayo Vallecano ended 0-0, the point taking the Madrid based side to the top of the pack pending Sunday's matches. Rayo came away disappointed not to take the three points though after Piti, Aganzo and Pachón all failed to covert chances. Levante move up to fifth after coming from two goals down to draw 2-2 at Alavés. Moreno gave the locals the lead midway through the first half, and Toni Moral made it two from the penalty spot after Yago fouled Javi Guerra. But Samuel Baños pulled one back on the hour mark, and with three minutes to go Jorge Pina equalised with a low shot past Bernardo.

Alicante scored their first goal of the season in a 1-1 draw at Gimnástic, the point taking them out of the relegation spots. Germán was the man on target, heading home Azkoitia's cross against the run of play ten minutes before the break. Luis Gil was sent off though soon after the restart for a second bookable offence, and Tortolero headed in a corner soon afterwards to save a point for the Catalans. Elsewhere Murcia recorded their first point of the season, although the 0-0 result at home to Las Palmas was not much of an improvement for Javier Clemente's side. Iván Alonso and Pablo Sánchez hit the woodwork at either end in the second half, but otherwise keepers Elía and Santamaría were in control. (20.09.08)

Córdoba had dropped in to the bottom four after Saturday's results, but they climbed back out again after a 0-1 victory at neighbours Xerez on Sunday lunchtime. Gastón Casas scored the only goal from the penalty spot after Redondo tripped Javi Flores with just under half an hour on the clock, and after that they held on for the three points. Antoñito, Sarmiento and Bermejo went close two or three times, and referee Lizondo Cortés turned down a couple of penalty claims by the locals, but they couldn't prevent their second defeat of the season. (21.09.08)

No less than five teams are tied on eight points at the top of the second division after this weekend's games. No doubt the match of the day was between two of last weekend's leaders, Hércules and Real Sociedad, but they cancelled each other out in a 1-1 draw. Labaka headed the Basque side in front from a free kick early on, but the locals were awarded a hotly disputed penalty when Abel Aguilar was tackled by Diego Rivas ten minutes from the end, and although Bravo saved Farinós's first spot kick, the referee ordered a retake which he converted. Hércules ended with ten men after Sergio Fernández was shown a red card with five minutes to go. Real have not won now in the Rico Pérez stadium in their last 19 visits.

Castellón ousted Rayo Vallecano from the top three after a 1-0 win over Albacete, a team they had not beaten for 23 years. Arana scoring the only goal on the half hour mark with a shot from outside of the area, and they held on despite having Mantecón sent off with twenty minutes to go. Salamanca also join the leading group after handing Girona their first defeat of the season, Isaac scoring late on after a mistake by the local defence to give his side a 0-1 victory.

All of that was good news for the chasing group, and Zaragoza now find themselves only three points away from the top despite their poor start to the season, a 2-0 victory over Elche the first time they have taken the three points to date. The turning point came on the quarter hour mark when visiting keeper Willy Caballero was sent off for bringing down Antonio Hidalgo. Ewerthon beat substitute keeper Jaime from the spot, and Caffa headed the second from Ewerthon's cross just ten minutes later. Elche ended the weekend firmly anchored to the bottom of the table without a point to their name.

Celta did get themselves off the mark after drawing 0-0 at Eibar, although they have still not scored a single goal. They have Notario to thank though for the point, the veteran goalkeeper making two or three first class saves to keep the Basque side at bay. And there was yet another draw between Tenerife and Huesca, the game ending 1-1 after substitute Angel scored a late equaliser for the hosts. Luis Helguera (brother of Valencia's Iván) had given the visitors the lead in the sixth minute with a header from a free kick, but then got himself sent off midway through the second half. (21.09.08)