Second Division A - Day 5

Equality reigns in the second division, and once again no side has been able to open up a gap on their rivals. Leaders Hércules were held to a 1-1 draw at Las Palmas on Saturday evening, and although they still top the table overnight, they could even be out of the promotion spots by the end of the weekend. Local striker Márquez hit the post and had another effort saved by Calatayud before the break, but the Alicante side went ahead with a Farinós penalty ten minutes in to the second half after Tote was fouled by Samuel. David García volleyed home the equaliser though six minutes later.

Second placed Real Sociedad could do no better than draw 1-1 at home to Alavés, and they stay level with Hércules on nine points. Sergio Rodríguez opened the scoring for the locals with only fifteen seconds on the clock, beating Bernardo with a low shot, but Emilio Sánchez equalised for the Vitoria based side on the stroke of half time. Elustondo hit the post just before the visitors' goal and Necati fired a shot just wide in the closing minutes, but once again Real were frustrated by neighbours.

Zaragoza took advantage to move up to within a point of the two leaders after coming from behind to beat Murcia 2-1. Despotovic gave Javier Clemente's side the lead in the twentieth minute, heading past López Vallejo from Dani Aquino's corner. The visitors held off the local onslaught until a quarter of an hour from the end, when they were left with ten men after Aquino picked up a second booking Pavón equalised soon afterwards with a header from Jorge López's corner, and after Ewerthon hit the bar, Oliveira headed the winner from another cross by López. Murcia stay in the relegation spots having only picked up one point from their first five games.

Córdoba picked up their second victory in a row after beating Girona 2-0, a second defeat for the Catalan side after their good start to the season. Dorca crashed a shot against the bar for the visitors before Asen headed ina Cristian Alvarez free kick early in the second half, and substitute Javi Flores got the second after picking up a pass from Ceballos. The visitors ended with ten men after Serra was sent off near the end. (27.09.08)

Great relief for Celta in the Balaidos stadium, a 2-1 victory over Tenerife on Sunday lunchtime giving them their first win of the season. The Galicians had not scored a single goal in their first four matches, but Ghilas put them ahead in the eighth minute with a lob over the head of keeper Luis García. The Algerian striker got his second of the day after good work by David Rodríguez early in the second half, but a goal by Nino a few minutes later after Kome's shot had come back off the woodwork kept the local fans on tenterhooks up until the final whistle. (28.09.08)

Salamanca move up from fifth to the top of the table after a 1-0 victory over Castellón. Both sides started the day level on points, and came in to the game with a chance to lead the pack after the weekend's previous ties went in their favour. But Isaac Jové picked up a pass from Dañobeitia and beat Carlos Sánchez with twenty minutes on the clock gave David Amaral's side the three points. The visitors came close though when Zamora hit the post after the break, and the locals had to hold on for the last ten minutes with ten men after Cristian Bustos was sent off.

Levante are just a point behind Salamanca in second spot after a 2-0 win over Sevilla Atlético, a great effort for a side which was cobbled together at the last minute without funds. Cala turned a Pedro Vega cross in to his own net late in the first half to open the scoring, and Geijo got the second on a quick counter-attack with seven minutes to go. Both sides ended with ten man after a card-happy Caballero Herreros sent off Yago and then Gallardo for second bookable offences.

Rayo Vallecano missed out on top spot after they were held to a 3-3 draw by Xerez. The Madrid based side went behind at the start when Pedro Ríos beat Cobeño, but Jofre equalised on the hour mark and substitute Pachón headed them in to the lead soon afterwards. Moreno equalised a minute later however, and although Pachón put Pepe Mel's team ahead again, Mario Bermejo levelled the scores for a third time near the end.

Alicante came from behind to beat Eibar 3-1, their first victory since winning promotion in the summer. Urzelai put the visitors ahead following a corner, but ex Eibar midfielder Azkoitia got on the end of Català's cross to equalise shortly before the break. Germán gave the home side the lead midway through the second half and Azkoitia wrapped things up with a header to take his side back above Celta out of the relegation spots

Albacete moved away from the danger zone as well after beating Gimnàstic 3-2. The Manchegans raced in to a three goal lead, Merino opening the scoring with half an hour gone, Verza converting a penalty two minutes later after Mingo pushed over Diego Costa, and Merino getting his second of the evening after Jaime set him up on the hour mark. But the Catalans put up a good fight after that, with Moisés scoring a second penalty after Peña handled in the area and then heading in Víctor's cross with five minutes left.

Elche remain at the foot of the table though after a 2-2 draw with Huesca, the first point that David Vidal's team has picked up all season. Saúl put the locals in front against the run of play just a minute in to the second half after a back-heel pass from Miguel, and although Vara equalised soon afterwards, Dani Benítez restored the lead from a direct free kick. With two minutes to go however Roberto picked up an assist from Sastre to save a point and leave Vidal's job hanging by a thread. (28.09.08)