Second Division A - Day 10

A set back for third placed Zaragoza after their run of three wins in a row, a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Girona putting their place in the top three in jeopardy. Their opponents had not won since the second weekend of the season, but they took the three points thanks to a first half penalty which Manga converted after Sergio brought down Gabri. Jorge López did hit the post shortly before the break, but the visitors' challenge ended when Oliveira was sent off for elbowing an opponent with five minutes to go.

For a short while Marcelino's side looked like being overtaken by Castellón, who led against Las Palmas thanks to a strike midway through the first half from Gari Uranga following a Diego Reyes free kick. The locals shouls have extended their lead when Santamaría saved a second half penalty from Mario Rosas after López Ramos had handled in the area. However the Canary Islanders equalised in injury time through Marcos Márquez and the game ended 1-1.

Real Sociedad ended their run of six games without a win, beating Gimnàstic 1-2 in the last minute of the match. Moha had given the Basque side the lead with a spectacular first time volley in the 26th minute, but Moisés equalised with a free kick later in the second half. However Díaz de Cerio drilled a shot wide of Rubén Pérez in injury time to hand the Catalans their first defeat at home all season.

The victory takes Real to within three points of the promotion spots, level with Huesca who won 3-1 against Córdoba. Rubén Castro scored two for the Aragón based side, the first from the penalty spot after Ito was sent off for handling the ball shortly before the break. Roberto added another on the hour mark before Castro got his second of the night, and Pierini's late strike came too late to change the result. (01.11.08)

An extraordinary match on Sunday lunchtime, where Xerez fought back from behind to beat Murcia 5-3. Javier Clemente's side went two up at the break with a Montoro header and an own goal from Crespi. But early in the second half keeper Elía gave away a penalty on Mendoza and got himself sent off into the bargain by referee Hernández Hernández for a second booking. Momo converted the spot kick, and strikes from Aythami and Bermejo turned the scoreline around within the next fifteen minutes. Dialiba equalised once again with a quarter of an hour to go, but Momo restored the lead just two minutes later. And Calle wrapped things up with a second penalty after Guerreira was sent off following a foul on Sarmiento, the Brazilian midfielder making things worse for himself by pushing the referee before leaving the field. (02.11.08)

Hércules move ahead of Salamanca on goal difference after David Amaral's team were beaten 2-0 by a resurgent Celta. Dinei got the first early on with a cross-come-shot which Pelgrin turned in to his own net, and the visitors were left with ten men when Roberto Lago picked up a second booking shortly before the break. There were some nervous moments before the home fans though before Oscar Díaz hit the bar for the locals late on, and with the game in injury time Trashorras fired home an impressive shot to take the Galicians away from the danger zone.

Rayo Vallecano started the day with a chance of returning to the top three, but in the end they remain a point outside of the promotion spots after a 2-0 defeat at Tenerife. Things appeared to go their way when Manolo Martínez was sent off for a second bookable offence ten minutes before the break. But Juanlu picked up a pass from Nino midway through the second half to open the scoring, and Nino himself lobbed Cobeño for the second near the end. The win takes the Canary Islanders level with their opponents in the table.

Elche moved off the bottom the table after beating Alavés 0-3, their first victory of the season. Santos started things off late in the first half after Miguel set him up. And Iván Bolado and Rodri added two more later on, the first after cutting in to beat Bernardo, and the second on a rapid counter-attack, to hand the locals their first home defeat in ten months.

Claudio Barragán's side moved ahead of Sevilla Atlético and also Alicante, who were beaten 1-2 by Albacete. The locals went ahead in the sixth minute when Francisco headed in a Buades free kick. But Verza equalised just two minutes later with a well struck free kick, and Diego Costa made it two for the visitors on the half hour mark. Costa was sent off near the end but the locals couldn't react, and caretaker coach Asier Garitano (who only took over from José Carlos Granero a month ago) could soon be replaced.

Elsewhere Eibar and Levante kept away from the drop zone after drawing 0-0, although both could be in trouble soon if results don't improve. The visitors had a goal disallowed for offside early on, but after that the Basque side dominated, and only a first class performance by Levante keeper Reina kept the scores level. (02.11.08)