Second Division A - Day 11

Six matches on Saturday evening, with Rayo Vallecano moving back up in to the top three after a 1-0 win against Huesca. Michel got the only goal in the second minute, but the Madrid based side had to play three-quarters of the match with ten men after Aganzo was sent off for a second bookable offence. Many fans had their minds on other things though, with protests before and during the match against the heavy handed local police, who charged a group of radical supporters and fired rubber bullets during the recent cup tie against Almería.

Tenerife started the day level with Rayo on points, but they drop behind the leaders after a 2-1 defeat at Levante. Pallardó fired in a shot from outside of the area midway through the second half to give the Valencia based side their first win in six games. Xisco Nadal had put the home side ahead following a corner on the half hour mark, but Kome equalised for the Canary Islanders soon after the break. Levante move up level with their opponents in the table as a result.

Real Sociedad lost further ground on the promotion spots as well after they were held to a disappointing 0-0 draw by neighbours Eibar. There was further bad news for coach Juanma Lillo, his star striker Díaz de Cerio (who had had the best chances of the game) breaking his leg in a clash with visiting keeper Zigor after the interval. Referee González González actually suspended the match three minutes in to injury time after Lillo was floored by a bottle thrown by one of his own club's supporters, and Carlos Mártinez was shown a red card for protesting right at the end.

Murcia moved to within a point of escaping the relegation zone after a 2-0 victory over Girona, Capdevila opened the scoring for Javier Clemente's team with an impressive volley midway through the first half, and Bruno got the second with a direct free kick two minutes before the final whistle, giving his side their third home win in a row.

Celta climbed further away from the danger area after an action packed 3-4 victory at Córdoba. The Galicians went ahead when Ceballos put through his own net in only the second minute, and although Gastón Casas headed an equaliser, Dinei restored the lead before the break. Another header from Asen levelled the scores after the restart, but once more Celta took the lead, this time through Ghilas. The hosts were left with ten men when Cristian was sent off, and Dinei got a fourth before Yordi set up a nail biting end with a third goal for the Andalusians with four minutes to go.

The defeat left Córdoba just a point above the bottom four, level with Las Palmas, who were held to a 2-2 draw by Gimnàstic. Campano put the Catalans ahead on the quarter hour mark with a direct free kick, and although a Gerardo header made it all square before the break, Diop scored again for the visitors soon after the restart. Marcos Márquez saved a point for the Canary Islanders though with a penalty midway through the second half, and they held on despite having López Ramos sent off ten minutes from the end. The draw may not be enough to prevent Juan Manuel Rodríguez from being fired though, after the under-pressure coach had been criticised by fans and management. (08.11.08)

Leaders Hércules and pretenders Xerez cancelled each other out in a 0-0 draw on Sunday lunchtime. The Andalusians started the day just three points behind their hosts, and a win could have taken them to the top of the table. Honours were shared in the end though, with Tuni and Rodri having the best chances for the locals before the break and Bergantiños and Antoñito replying for the visitors later on. (09.11.08)

Salamanca are back on top after a 2-0 win over Alicante on Sunday evening. Both goals came after the break, Azkorra opening the scoring following a passing move with Quique Martín just five minutes after the restart. And on the hour mark Dañobeitia got the second with a shot from outside of the area to hand visiting coach Nino Lema a defeat in his first game in charge. Alicante stay in the relegation spots after five games without a victory.

Zaragoza drop out of the promotion spots though after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Castellón, who stay a point behind their rivals in the table. Ulloa beat the offside trap to give the visitors the lead with just under a quarter of an hour gone. And the striker could have scored a second before Ewerthon headed in Braulio's cross to equalise for Marcelino's side shortly before the interval. The result ends Zaragoza's run of four home wins in a row.

Down at the bottom of the table, Sevilla Atlético stay in last spot despite a 2-2 draw at Alavés. De la Bella opened the scoring in the fourth minute and Pukki added the second with less than a quarter of an hour gone. But Cuevas headed one back midway through the first half, and Igor saved a point for the home side with twenty minutes to go. The Andalusians ended with ten men after Marc Valiente was sent off late on.

Sevilla Atlético ended the weekend level with Alicante and one point behind Elche, who could only draw 0-0 at home to Albacete. Claudio Barragán's team had the better of the play, with David Fuster hitting the post after the restart, but they could not get past a well organised defence, and they have still not won at home all season. (09.11.08)