Second Division A - Day 12

Four games on Saturday night in the second division, with leaders Salamanca held to a 2-2 draw at Albacete. Pelegrín headed David Amaral's side in to an early lead following a corner. But Jaime equalised on the half hour mark after Iker Begoña set him up, and Alberto turned the scoreline around two minutes after the restart after picking up a pass from Diego Costa. Miku equalised though later on with a low shot past Jonathan to take his side three points clear of Hércules pending their game on Sunday. The game ended with visiting defender Raúl Gañan getting himself sent off after clashing with Costa.

Zaragoza's struggle to return to the top flight took another set-back though after a 0-0 draw at Gimnàstic. The Maños had the better chances, with Ewerthon and Oliveira going close in the first half, and local keeper Rubén Pérez saving from Arizmendi, Jorge López and Caffa. But in the end they had to settle for a point, their third match in a row without a win. Even so Marcelino's side move up to third in the table, but any one of three teams could overtake them tomorrow.

The relegation battle between Alicante and Córdoba ended 2-2, although the locals felt unhappy about the result after a last minute strike from Capi was ruled out for what the referee considered was a hand ball. The home side had raced into a two goal lead within the first three minutes thanks to a Peragón penalty and a header from Rafa Jordá, but Asen got one back shortly before the break and Pablo Ruíz headed the equaliser later in the second half.

Only one side managed to win on Saturday, Las Palmas beating Eibar 1-2 to move ahead of their opponents in the table. Yagüe hit the post for the Basque team in only the second minute, and Sutil put them ahead with a quarter of an hour gone after picking up a pass from Codina. But second half strikes from Pablo Sánchez and Saúl gave the Canary Islanders the three points, and Eibar ended with ten men after Martínez was sent off near the end. (15.11.08)

Castellón moved up in to the top three pending the evening games after beating Murcia 2-0 on Sunday lunchtime. Abel Resino's side have not lost at home all season, and they went ahead three minutes after the restart, Mario Rosas converting a penalty after Uranga was fouled by Campos. And with seven minutes to go Arana added the second with a shot from the edge of the area to leave the visitors further down in the drop zone without an away win in 18 months. (16.11.08)

Salamanca stay top of the table after their closest rivals Hércules were beaten 1-0 by Girona on Sunday evening. The visitors had the better of the play though, with Sendoa hitting the post and local keeper Ponzo constantly in action. However with a quarter of an hour to go Jito got the only goal after Xumetra and Paco Esteban combined to set him up to hand the Alicante based side their first league defeat of the season.

Xerez moved above Hércules to second spot after thrashing Alavés 5-0 later in the evening. The visitors (who had to play in an old Xerez kit after the referee thought the colours too similar) were left with ten men when Edu Albácar was sent off for a second bookable offence in the eighth minute. Pedro Ríos opened the scoring a couple of minutes later with a lob over the keeper, and Antoñito added two more in the next ten minutes. Momo made it four with a well struck free kick soon after the restart, and Sarmiento finished things off late on. Alavés were down to nine by then as Mateo was also shown two yellow cards.

Rayo Vallecano drop to fifth in the table, albeit just a point away from Xerez, after drawing 0-0 at Celta. It was a dull match, the only real chances coming from local forwards Danilo and Dinei in the second half. Rayo ended with ten men after Jofre was sent off in injury time for a hard tackle on Edu Moya, and the Madrid based side have yet to win away this season.

Tenerife and Real Sociedad drew 1-1, a result which left both further away from the promotion spots. The Canary Islanders dominated the match, but Claudio Bravo kept out all and sundry until four minutes from the end, when Marc Bertrán picked up an assist from Juanlu to beat the Chilean keeper. With the home fans celebrating a win though, Labaka headed in an injury time corner to save a point for the Basque side.

Huesca came from a goal down to beat Levante 2-1, a result which took them above their opponents to seventh in the table. Geijo headed against the post before getting the first for the visitors ten minutes before the break. But José Vegar equalised from the penalty spot soon after the restart after Angel handled in the area, and then headed home his second of the night from Robert's cross a few minutes later. Before that both sides had a player sent off, Rubén Castro for the locals and Pallardó for the visitors, and Levante ended with nine on the park after substitute Rubén Suárez picked up a second booking in the last minute.

Down at the bottom of the table Elche won 0-2 at Sevilla Atlético, a fifth game without defeat taking Claudio's side to within two points of safety. It was a game of three penalties, David Fuster converting the first with just under half an hour gone. Armenteros wasted a chance to equalise when fired a second penalty against the bar later on in the second half, and Rodri wrapped things up with a third spot kick in injury time. (16.11.08)