Second Division A - Day 15

No change at the top of the second division after the top three all drew. Leaders Xerez were close to a win though in a match against Girona which was delayed by over an hour due to the late arrival of the visitors' charter plane. With the visitors hardly settled after a dash from the airport, Antoñito opened the scoring after Aythami set him up. Martí Crespo headed a second from Viqueira's corner on the hour mark, but Arnal headed in Paco Esteban's cross with seven minutes to go to get one back. And in the last minute Crespi was sent off for handling in the area and Manga stepped up to convert the resulting penalty and make it 2-2. Girona also had a man sent off, Esteban also picking up a second booking in injury time, but the game ended seconds later.

Earlier in the evening second placed Salamanca also had to settle for a point after a 1-1 draw at Rayo Vallecano. The visitors went ahead in the twentieth minute with a Salva Sevilla penalty after Coke fouled Isaac in the area. But less than ten minutes later Pachón headed the equaliser from Albiol's free kick, and the striker could have won it later on had the referee not ruled out his strike for what he considered to be a previous foul.

Third placed Zaragoza also drew 2-2 at home to neighbours Huesca, the first time the two sides have met in 58 years. A packed stadium saw the locals reduced to ten men when Arizmendi was shown a second yellow card by referee Hevia Obras shortly before half time. Huesca went two up after the restart, Rubén Castro converting a penalty after Chus Herrero handled in the area, and José Vegar heading in Castro's headed pass. Ewerthon got one back though after picking up Braulio's centre, and numbers were evened up when Luis Helguera was also given a second booking. And with five minutes to go Ewerthon headed in the equaliser to keep his side in the top three.

Real Sociedad took advantage to move to within three points of the promotion spots after beating struggling Alicante 1-0, although it was not a convincing victory. Aranburu headed the only goal from Xabi Prieto's cross after the break, and Necati had a penalty appeal turned down and a goal disallowed later on. However local keeper Bravo had some work to do to, and Azkoitia came close to equalising near the end.

Levante put the match fixing allegations behind them, and they are just a point behind Real Sociedad after coming from a goal down to beat Albacete 3-1. Verza opened the scoring early on with an acrobatic back-heel flick, but Geijo equalised before the break, and Tena headed them in front following a corner midway through the second half. And with the game coming to an end and visiting keeper Jonathan still racing back after going up to join an attack, Geijo rolled the ball in to an empty net to wrap things up.

Elche moved out of the relegation spots for the first time this season after beating Córdoba 3-1.David Fuster put them ahead from the penalty spot after Rubén handled in the area with just over half an hour gone, and Usero fired home the second just four minutes later. David Fuster cut through the defence to score his second of the night immediately after the restart, and Cristian Alvarez's free kick later on came too late to change the result.

Las Palmas also moved clear of the danger zone after a 2-0 win against Celta, a good first result for caretaker coach Javier Vidales who took over from Juan Manuel Rodríguez midweek. Marcos Márquez got the first from the penalty spot in the eighteenth minute after a handball by Celta's Rubén, and the Galicians were left with ten men shortly before the break when Edu Moya was sent off. And Saúl rounded things off with ten minutes to go after Pablo Sánchez played in a corner.

The Canary Islanders are now level with Gimnastic, who drew 1-1 at Alavés later in the evening. With only two minutes on the clock Jandro beat Bonis to open the scoring, but Javi Guerra latched on to Llorente's cross to equalise on the stroke of half time. The Catalans have now drawn their last five games, and have not won in seven. (06.12.08)

Only three games on Sunday, with two kicking off at mid-day. Castellón beat Sevilla Atlético 0-2 to move up to fifth, leaving the Andalusians firmly anchored to the foot of the table. Ulloa put them ahead following a quick counter-attack in the twentieth minute after Armenteros lost the ball, and De la Bella turned a cross from the left wing in to his own net a few minutes after the restart for the final scoreline.

Murcia were unable to do more than draw 2-2 against Tenerife despite going two up, and they sink further down in to the drop zone as a result. Despotovic got the first after picking up an assist from Capdevila in the twentieth minute, and Iván Alonso made it two from the penalty spot after a foul by Héctor on the hour mark. But two minutes later Nino latched on to Juanlu's pass to close the gap to one goal, and Alfaro beat Elía following a corner to save a point for the Canary Islanders, who ended with ten men after Ricardo was shown a second yellow card late on.

Later in the day Hércules moved level with third placed Zaragoza after a 2-0 victory over Eibar. Both goals came after the break, Abraham Paz opening the scoring from Tuni's cross, and Tote wrapping things up in injury time after Farinós set him up. The result leaves the Basque side down in the bottom four. (07.12.08)