Second Division A - Day 21

Xerez take the honorary title of "winter champions" at the halfway stage of the second division after a 2-0 win over Celta on Saturday evening. Momo and Aythami got the goals in a four minute period midway through the first half, the first from a Carlos Calvo cross and the second from a Viqueira corner. Ariel Rosada hit the bar for the Galicians after the break, but they couldn't prevent a second defeat in four days. Xerez move three points clear at the top pending Sunday's games.

Tenerife are in second spot after drawing 2-2 at promotion rivals Castellón. All the goals came in the second half, Ulloa opening the scoring from close to goal five minutes after the restart. With twelve minutes to go Angel equalised with an angled shot, but two minutes later Tabare restored the lead after Arana set him up. It seemed that the three points were staying at home, but with the game coming to an end the defence were unable to clear a free kick, and Richi scrambled the ball home to level the scores once again.

Real Sociedad missed out once again though on a chance to make it to the top three, the Basque side being held to a 0-0 draw by Elche in the Anoeta stadium. A much protested Zubiaurre hit the post from an early free kick on his return to his old club, and David Fuster went close for the visitors either side of half time. And the Basque side didn't trouble Willy Caballero until well in to the second half, when the keeper made a good save from Labaka. New signing "Loco" Abreu came on for the last few minutes, but he too was unable to beat Caballero.

Levante are now level on points with Real after coming from behind to beat Las Palmas 1-2. Nauzet put the Canary Islanders ahead with a well struck free kick on the quarter hour mark. But Rubén equalised from the penalty spot on the stroke of half time after Gerardo handled in the area, and Geijo headed the winner from Pina's cross with fifteen minutes to go. It was first defeat for coach Javier Vidales since he took over seven games ago.

Only three points separate nine teams though after Girona beat Huesca 2-0. The Catalans have been good at home, only letting in three goals all season. And they took the lead on the stroke of half time when David Cañas beat Miguel from a free kick. Felipe Sanchón wrapped things up later on after picking up Raúl Martín's pass and running on to score, but he then blotted his copy-book, being shown a second yellow card for time wasting as he was being substituted.

Murcia's revival continues under coach José Miguel Campos, and they made it five wins in a row after beating Córdoba 1-0. Antonio Nuñez hit the woodwork in the first half, but it was not until ten minutes from the end that substitute De Lucas picked up a pass from Matías Alonso to round the keeper and score. The defeat leaves the Andalusians further down in the drop zone.

Alavés could finish the weekend in the bottom four as well after losing 0-2 to Albacete. Diego Costa started things off, turning in a cross from Jaime Romero midway through the first half. And new signing Toché beat Nico Bonis after the restart to give his team a first win in five games, probably saving the head of his coach Juan Ignacio Martínez, for the time being at least.

Alavés are two points ahead of Eibar, who's match at Gimnàstic was called off due to high winds in Tarragona. The fixture has been rescheduled for a later date. (24.01.09)

Two important come-backs on Sunday lunchtime. Hércules fought back from two down to draw 2-2 with Salamanca, leaving both sides just outside of the top three on goal difference. Miku poked in the first in the eighth minute and Cohen put the visitors two up at the break after Calatayud could only block a shot from Isaac. But Taborda headed in a corner after the restart and Rubén Navarro equalised soon afterwards, and after Expósito was sent off near the end, both sides settled for a point.

Alicante also came back to beat Sevilla Atlético 2-3 in the battle between the two bottom clubs. Redondo headed in the first midway through the first half, and Fali scored the second with a shot into the top ocrner of the net on the stroke of half time. But Redondo was sent off on the hour mark for giving away a penalty, and although Vargas saved Capi's spot kick, Capi did get one back soon afterwards. Azkoitia levelled the scores, and with the game already in injury time Peragón got the winner to give his side hope of escaping the drop zone.

Zaragoza are out of the top three after a 2-3 defeat at the hands of Rayo Vallecano later in the evening. Pachón's early headed goal for the visitors from Jofre's cross was overturned by strikes from Oliveira and Ewerthon in the five minutes leading up to the break. However Aganzo made it all square from the penalty spot with quarter of an hour to go, and after Gabi was sent off for a second bookable offence, new signing Sousa scored the winner after good work by Piti five minutes from the end. (25.01.09)